Help ! What kind of bird is this ?

Discussion in 'Bird' started by mart, Aug 21, 2016.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hubby found him hopping along the side of the road. So he caught him and brought him home.
    Not sure what he eats. Will take it to the other farm and release if he is OK !!

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. mart
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have no idea but hopefully some one from our area will know what kind it is. It's a pretty bird.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

I thought a flycatcher of some sort. He was hopping down the side of the road so hubby stopped, of course. The thing is Hubby doesn`t walk too well,, he fell once, lost his shoe,,but he got the bird ! It was a country road so not much traffic. Which was good he said,,would have been a little embarrassing trying to pick himself up out of the dirt for trying to chase down a bird.

5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I have no idea the type of bird but he/she is pretty. Hope the hubby wasn't hurt for all his efforts! ;) :)

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would release him and let nature determine if he makes it or not. Most Vets do not treat wild birds because of the possibility of infecting their caged patients with something, city/county animal control will not take them. Maybe you can find a wild bird sanctuary close enough to take him to.
    Not knowing what species he is and what he eats, it would be cruel to keep him caged up with nothing to eat and bad to provide food that he doesn't eat at all.

7. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Looks like an Eastern Kingbird.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks Kildale, the Eastern Kingbird does summer in the eastern half of Texas.

9. kate

kate In Flower

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

He has already been relocated to 30 acres with no cars. Don`t worry, we do not ever keep wild birds. But sometimes when they have an encounter with a car, as I think may have been this case, they are given time to recuperate before releasing..We have additional acreage about a quarter mile down the road with a large pond, and huge oak trees and other shrubs. Hubby just does not like to see them splattered all over the road and he thinks if injured they should at least get a chance to survive. No chance on these roads and most people drive so fast they never even see them. Not that most people even care.
    I asked about food so we could at least leave something with it that it could eat.
    Thanks Folks for the ID. We had no idea about this one.
    And as far as the vet not treating wild birds ect,,our vet is also our neighbor and friend, His property is right next door to the property the bird was released at. He does his share of helping animals as well.
    Things are a bit different here in the country,, not like the metro areas.

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

So glad you helped out the bird and were sensitive to it getting further injury, or even killed, if left where it was.

I go to some lengths to protect the wildlife that I encounter in my travels. I've parked my car at an angle across the road with its hazards on so that I can carry a turtle out of harm's way. More than once I've had a bird fly into my windshield or hood while driving and pulled over to see if I could revive it, and at the very least gotten it out of the road so it wouldn't get run over in its dazed state. Once I even managed to help a baby deer into the wooded area next to the road. I think it'd been struck by a car and was just lying on the shoulder sort of flailing around. I think it was OK. After I moved it I just watched, and it eventually got up and just sort of trotted away.

I'm a sucker for helpless things...whether it's people or animals.

Islandlife likes this.