help with garden tool design!

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by ktbubster, Nov 5, 2006.

1. ktbubster

ktbubster New Seed

Hi!

My name is Katy and am an undergrad student studying Industrial Design (aka product design) and our next project we have been given is to design a set of 3 hand tools for gardening. Ofcourse I have looked at all the basic ones with a rake, hoe and shovel, sometimes a dandelion digger thing (sorry I am not completely up on the name), but I am looking for more information on this subject.

I was curious if you guys could help me.

I was just wondering what you look for in the design as far as the handle and angle of the tools in relation to the grip?

Also, are there ANYTHING you wish you could have in the garden that they don't make, perhaps a cross between or change to one of the tools.

I was told by someone that they wish they had a cross between a shovel and a hoe, because they tend to dig out the holes with the hoe and wish they could have a shovel type blade backwards instead.

ANY suggestions for tools or even handle designs/grips or a tally on what garden tools you use the most from the kits out of the hoe, spade, shovel, dandelion puller, tiller, etc would be good too.

Please help!

2. Loading...

3. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

One thing they used to make that I have not been able to find anymore is a triangular hoe. Pretty much like a regular hoe, but the head was triangular with a point facing down. It was great for digging rows to plant seeds, cutting out weeds and many other things. The head was also smaller than a regular hoe, about half the size I think. My Mom used to have one and we just plumb wore it out. But can't find them any more.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Funnily enough I was thinking much the same as CK. I've not seen one of those triagular hoes around in years either. The were soooo useful that it would be great to see them available again. Also I'd like to see a tool with a wire loop at the end and an extendable arm for looping over high tree branches and pullling them down towrads you so that you can trim the tops of (smallish) trees without having to use a ladder.

5. springlover

springlover New Seed

Make your own hoe. I cut the two bottom corners off an old hoe and it is now a perfect three sided hoe. I also heated the neck and bent it down to about 70 degres. Much easier to stand and cut weeds just below the surface.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I was also thinking of a small light weight t3 sided hoe with a long bent crook on it to ease between small plants to get the grass out without desturbing the little plants.My mom had a perfect one.It was shaped like an arrow head.

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

OK maybe it's finally happened and I have totally lost it. I could swear I replied to this post, in fact I know I did.

The tool that I use the most is my garden claw, I use it to weed, to mix in amendments to the soil, even dig bulbs, and many other things. I would like to see a small hand held model, one you could get down on your knees to weed in closer to plants.

8. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I have a garden tool/accessory catalogue that covers most types, but I like 'novel' items, not usually considered for gardening, including clothing.

For ideas, do like I do and check other areas such as military equipment (entrenching tools, wire saws, etc.) rock climbing equipment (such as the small picks for creating holes in the rock) some of these items in the right materials and with rubber handles with moulded fingerholds for extra grip, etc., in a smaller size, possibly folding handles, or extra attachment 3-in-1 tools.

C.J.

9. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Hubby made me one of these and it is invaluable.

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

One other point of consideration I run into is so many tools are made for a man's hands, especially trimmers - too large for mine, and too heavy/thick/hard/wide when I need to use them. I've seen a small number of tools with floral-patterned handles in pink boxes being marketed for women, but they are too frou-frou and cheaply made for me... I just need the "real thing" smaller or lighter.

I agree about the garden claw mentioned above - I have an antique one I found at an estate sale years ago and I use it all the time, haven't seen anything quite like it anyplace.