Help with grout color for kitchen backsplash

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by JKyleW, Feb 10, 2010.

1. JKyleW

JKyleW New Seed

Hello:

I'm at the last stage of a kitchen remodel and are looking for help with my tile backsplash.

I installed dark brown cabinets and a granite that's predominately cream and brown. I temporarily painted the wall an olive green while I decided what tile I wanted, and I really fell in love with the paint color in contrast to the wood and granite...so much so that I chose an olive green 1"x2" porcelain tile laid out in a brick pattern.

What grout color should I use? Even though the grout lines are only going to be 1/8", they'll affect the look considerably.

Do I:
    - choose a green grout that's similar to the tile? (I can get close but the two choices are either darker or lighter than the tile green)
    - try to match the cream of the granite to pull the two surfaces together?
    - choose a gray or brown grout to contrast the brick?

Like I said, I really like the look of the painted wall. My inclination is to make the tile and grout blend together to recreate that look, however I don't know if that's the best decision design-wise.

Help me decide! :)

Kyle

2. Loading...

3. kimik

kimik New Seed

I think I would go with the color of the counter top.

4. HeatherM

HeatherM New Seed

To make it look more like the painted wall, go with the grout to match the tile. If you are doing it yourself, then use the lighter of the two colors, but if it's being professionally installed, then have them mix the two grouts to create a custom match.