Helping the nesting birds

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Kildale, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

It is quite easy to help the birds at nesting time with a supply of nest material. I made a couple of simple holders, although you can simply push stuff into twigs and branches etc. I had a chickadee picking some out today.

nest.jpg

I just pushed some dog brushings etc into a cage that I made.

nest1.jpg

You can see how I made it, Nesting Material.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
    Kay, eileen, donm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We put the lint from the dryer (as long as what was dried was all cotton or natural fibers, no nylon, polyester, etc.) out on the lawn, and the mockingbirds and other birds pick it up for their nests. We even found a sparrow's nest in a box that had been lined with the hemp that we use for securing rose canes to trellises (so that's where my hemp twine went!).
    I like your nest material holder--we may make a couple to hang out during nesting season. Thanks for the idea.

4. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

If you manage to get any pictures of the birds picking it up, or your nest boxes perhaps, we could use them in my Nest Box Festival next year. I started it three years ago, this was this years if you missed my posting. Festival 2015 I made another which is very easy, Material Nesting. Thank you for your post.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'll try to get photos, Kildale, but as you know, birds are somewhat difficult to photograph doing what you want when you have a camera ready!
    You are welcome for the post--just wish we could contribute more photos to this forum, you, and to Derelia.

Advertisement
  6. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

Coir is everywhere here is sw Mexico. I use it as mulch for the plants i have in containers and also to keep all the soil from bouncing out during the rainy season. Now the birds are freely helping themselves to the coco fibers for nesting. They are making a mess but i am happy to be supporting the birds in this way so i don't care about the mess. I made small little balls of the coir for them to carry off...it is light as air, but i find they will just take a few fibers at a time, whether they are small bids or large ones.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hang little bags of dog hair out in the trees and the birds seem to be really enjoying themselves picking out beakfulls and flying off with them.

8. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

It is nice of you to help out the birds. My son showed me a bird in its nest in one of his trees today. It was so cool

marlingardener likes this.
  9. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

P1430462.JPG

This is the female of the Purple-rumped Sunbird [no such colour in females]. I see it regularly picking up fibres from my room window's plastic shade. They are plastic fibres and not organic. I was really pained and also happy to observe how they discover these kind of stronger objects. They use this material to stitch their nests using other fibres and leaves. It was not making a nest in my yard, but in the neighbour's. I kept coconut fibres and cotton in a nest-material dispenser, but they prefer this fibre!! I do not know since when they have been doing it. But I discovered this last June when I heard some noise on that plastic shade. Till then I thought they picked up only organic matter, but I had seen housecrows picking up pieces of wire during construction of a new house adjacent to ours. Those wires are used to bind steel rods. How innovative they are!

vitrsna and Frank like this.
  10. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

Starlings will decorate their nests with bits of colored glass and/or plastic and/or whatever to make the nest more appealing to the females. I think they prefer glass though because it glitters in the sun to catch the female's attention. I wonder if there are other birds that decorate their nests?

11. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

This is the nest they had made in 2008. SunbirdNesting (2).JPG

Frank likes this.