herb or flowers ???

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Sudheer622, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Sudheer622

Sudheer622 New Seed

I have some place left for garden on the back of my house in which i want to have a garden help me

(*Don't be afraid of things in there actually its a newly constructed house i marked up the area where i can plant*)

[​IMG]
    The place left for garden ( photo / image / picture from Sudheer622's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How much sunlight does it get during the day? That will be the deciding factor on what you plant there.
    If it is full sun, at least 6 hours a day, then there are so many choices in both herbs and flowers. It it is less than full sun then most herbs will have a hard time growing there but there will be many flowers that will love it.

And actually it doesn't have to be one or the other, herbs and flowers co-exist very well planted together in one garden. You just have to make sure that their water requirements are the same so you don't drown some from over watering or kill others from not enough watering enough.

4. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Do a mixture of perennial herbs like sage,rosemary, lavender and thyme..and mix it up with some flowers...you could also through in some veggie plants here and there...just read the label about the sun requirements.

5. Sudheer622

Sudheer622 New Seed

the photo i posted here is on east direction

the photo i posted here is on east direction and i expect all the earlie morning sun light and after noon sunlight will be thereat least till 3 o clock

6. herbfan3

herbfan3 New Seed

Herbs would do well in that space as long as it gets 6 to 10 hours of sunlight daily. You can always fix the soil but you need plenty of sunlight. Mint plants would not be a great choice for that size area because they can grow out of control fast.