Here We Grow AGain

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cajuncappy, May 19, 2015.

1. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

This weekend Peggy and I pulled up our spring stiff worked our lil square foot vegetable garden getting it ready for our summer heat. Here is the picture filled post of this weekends adventures. Please any comments or help would be appreciated.
    http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/05/getting-our-little-square-foot-garden.html

We are excited to see how our new find fares in our summer heat. After reading a article from the LSU ag center and hearing from a friend in town we ordered us some asparagus bean seeds. They say they do well in heat and are surprisingly delicious. Let the experiment begin any one with suggestions or comments Please chime in.

2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Cappy, I don't have any advice to give but I'll volunteer for the cheering squad; I'm going to be very interested in the results of your experiments of grovving cauliflovver, asparagus bean, etc. in our zones 8 & 9 summer heat..
    Hank

cajuncappy likes this.
  4. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Well Mr Henry let me tell ya we are some kind of excited at our current experiments as well. The yard long beans come from an article I read over at the LSU ag site I mentioned it to my country boy network one morning over at the country store for coffee and one guy poped up and said he grew some last year they did good and his kids loved them on the bbq pit. With that kinda of recomendations ya know I hadda try 'em

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Good luck with your cauliflower, and keeping your kitties out of your garden. A lot of the veggies you mentioned I can't grow because of our short growing season but it is fun to see and hear about yours.

Advertisement
  6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Well the kitties have made it in there 2 nights in a row now. GRRRRRRR its not too bad now but we gotta stop them before the little plants start sprouting. Peggy saw online where Tobacco would stop them. We happen to have some pipe tobacco that peggy uses in potpourri. guess we will try that before we go to lowes and buy armour.

7. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

I am thrilled to say that in only 5 days, the yard long beans are almost all showing as seedlings. Also we the kitty has taken 2 nights off in a row of his gardening . Not sure we saw him trying to get in and hit him with the water hose, then we sprinkled pipe tobacco on the gaarden, then I hadda apply seven dust to the garden, not sure which thing worked but it appears that the cat has given us a break so far.

8. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

I walked out to the garden today to find the thunder storms had broken a branch off of one of my pepper plants. I guess it was too heavy for the 50 mph wind that came through. On a good note however the epsom salt seems to have worked this is what was weighing that one branch down.:smt041 IMG_5467 (1280x911).jpg