Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by AAnightowl, May 8, 2015.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Sorry, I have not been able to get here very much the last few months. I do miss you guys. There used to be a note someplace about when we last checked in here, but I haven't found it yet on the new boards.

In February, we had a lot of snow, and several ice storms. And then maybe you heard about some shootings in Tyrone, Mo. Anyway, a dear friend and her husband were among the murdered. Thankfully, their daughter escaped and is with relatives. With all the bad weather besides, I rarely got to the library to use their internet. I have been working on my garden, and have a few things planted so far. I just got a few tomato plants out this week. The potatoes are doing nicely. DS has some sweet potatoes he wants to plant, so he should get at that soon. I planted some carrots, but there is no sign of them yet. I always have lots of onions and garlic out there. The lettuce is looking pretty good. I am trying to figure out an additional place for my strawberries. I have some in with my black raspberries, but I need to get some more old curtains to keep the birds and turtles out of them. I also have a tub with another variety that has pink flowers, and gets berries from May until frost. They made babies, and I need more room for them. They are ALL full of blooms, and probably more berries.

And about two weeks ago, I tripped on a tree stump in my yard thanks to our power company's trimming the trees and cutting some down a few days before that. I was out walking my dogs at night, and cannot see good at night. We went our usual route, but one of the trees is no longer there because the power company wanted it gone. I found it the hard way, and went splat on my face, and ruptured the Achilles tendon in my left heel. Ouch. The ER gave me a small splint, which is fine. The orthopedic doctor wanted me to have a cam boot, which I went and got, BUT it is horrible torture and caused lots of joint and back pain... I quit using it after a mere 24 hours, but those joints still hurt terribly. It will likely turn into one of those huge class action lawsuits that you see on TV, because is it very hazardous to one's health. I don't need extra help finding something new to fall on and fracture a hip or my neck. I suppose he will not be happy with me over it, but I refuse to wear it again. I am using the small brace, and it seems to be helping. My foot is much better. The black and blues and purples are nearly gone, and the swelling is down, and the pain is much less. I get an MRI this coming week, and a follow up next month. That cam boot is huge and black and looks like Frankenstein's boots. It makes one leg about 6 inches or more longer than the other and causes severe joint and muscle pains, and very awkward walking at best. It is the LAST thing a natural born klutz needs.

That is what I have been up to here. We are getting some lovely rain here today, and have not had any since early April, I think. The ground has been quite dry of late at least.

I hope you all are well, and your gardens are doing good too. I did take some pics to post, but my flash drive dropped dead on me yesterday while online, and I ordered a new one.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sounds like your gardening has really been keeping you busy and hope your heel will heal quickly.

See your name, upper right under the banner? Click on your name, then on Your Profile Page, then Postings. That will bring up all your posts and you will be able to see the dates to see how long it has been since you were here. Looks like March 25th was the last time you posted before today.
    You can also access your profile page by clicking on your name under your avatar.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It sounds like you're have a bad time with the injury. I hope everything heals up soon for you.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You've been having a bad time of it lately haven't you? I really hope that you recover quickly and will soon be fighting fit again.

Advertisement
  6. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Here's to healing quickly AA. Things will look up soon I hope.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Sorry about your injury...get better now and try not to walk at night unless you use a flashlight....

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Like Sherry said use a flashlight, hope you are getting better!

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

AAnightowl---I can really sympathize with you on that injury. OUCH! does not even come close to what you are going threw. I can see why your back and other body parts are complaining about that boot. Like you said anytime you change the length of your leg it can have a major impact on the rest of your body.
    Praying for a quick recovery and wisdom in how to proceed with the power company being responsible for your fall. Thank God you didn't break anything. Like I did in 2013 when I feel and broke my knee cap in half. :eek:
    One should at least get help around the house and garden paid for by the power company. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Hey! Nice of you to return here! :) Really sorry to read about you getting injured... But in my opinion, injuries (be they minor or major) do somehow keep occurring from time to time with us all, [I myself was recently out of action thanks to a few kidney stones]... But the thing about injuries is that they do almost always heal - So you returning here to post again is proof that there is nothing seriously wrong with you! :like:

So forget about it, and start cyber gardening with us again! Since you where here last, we have gained some new and very interesting people as members. So I think it'll now be even more fun to see everyone together again! Our GardenStew website has been updated by Frank, so this time we can share pictures in large size too!
    :stew1:

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I like his new improvements so far. They are way more COLORFUL. I was supposed to get the MRI Last week, but the machine was down, so it rescheduled for tomorrow. Doggies must go potty at night, and I have 5 dog leashes on one hand and a cane in the other... I did buy some solar lights to light up my yard in places where the flood lights do not reach. I will be exchanging at least one this week, as it is already on the fritz. How long do solar lights usually last? Tooty, I hope your kneecap mended by now! That sounds awful. A neighbor once sawed his kneecap in half with a skill saw...

I have not contacted the power company at this point, and am still debating on that. My insurance is covering the medical. Gotta go, DS is here to take me home already.