Hi from Alaska. Indoor grow help!

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Lucid, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Lucid

Lucid New Seed

Hey guys, Im thinking of starting out trying to grow sage, mint, lemongrass or chamomile. Any recommendations for a beginner that are great for tea or medicinal purposes? Gonna need some help choosing organic soil,pot size, and artificial lighting seeing as there's very little light in Alaska right now and a windowsill grow is basically pointless. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lucid here is a website that should get you started with your herb growing.

http://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-organ ... doors.html

I know that some of our members will be able to provide you with their own experiences about growing herbs indoors but thought this would help meantime. :stew1:

4. Lucid

Lucid New Seed

Thank you for that link. Ok so I just bought
    -Mint Seeds
    -Passionflower Seeds (just something to mess with if my mint fails)
    -Container with 12 peat pellets
    For some reason the lady at the nursery said fluoresent lights dont work so I bought what she recommended a
    -Sylvania SPOT-GRO 65w/120v light.(incandescent i believe, doesnt mention it on the packaging)
    I guess I should have checked out that link before listening to her haha.
    Im planning on hanging the light 1 foot above the container for now as it recommends.
    So should this be good enough to start with?

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It sounds as though you're set and ready to go Lucid. You must show us photographs of your progress. Good luck!! :-D

Advertisement
  6. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Can't wait to see your results, and welcome from northern Wisconsin. I'm anxiously waiting for the Iditarod to start...just a few more weeks!!! I love your state!

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi Lucid and welcome to the Stew from South Central Texas.I never grow much in the house just Ivy and a few starter plants.I do grow Passion flowers and I've never grown them in the house as they are an outside plant
    mostly.I have never seen one grown in the home as they are usually a big climber.Mine grow about 15 foot up a cedar tree.They start under the tree but the vine loves sunshine to grow.Unless you have found one that doesn't have runners and is a pot plant.

8. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Fluorescent lighting is awesome for growing plants indoors. I have used T12 for 4-5 years and have recently switched to T8 for higher output and bighter light. I can grow Purple Jew as purple as can be under the lighting. I use a 4 foot fixture with 2 bulbs with a 6500K rating and a CRI over 84 and it has never failed me. The higher the lumens the better.

T5 lighting is even brighter so if you can find it go for it. Power compact flourescent ligthing is more costly but will put even more light and allow for more plants to be grown under them.

I have not tried to grow any vegetables to maturity under them but I have no doubt it would work. I did grow catnip under one though and it was a monsterous bush in no time.

There is the new LED lighting but I have read a lot about them not having a good spectrum to grow plants under so for now I am staying away from them. Not to mention they are 350X more than fluorescents.

9. Lucid

Lucid New Seed

Thats good to hear. I switched out that incandescent for a 2 foot long fluorescent hanging plant light. This should work much better :)