Hop - it.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. On the same theme as the Comma and Red Admiral (Scram) - Goldfinches telling Sparrow to Hop It. Syd.

Attached Files:

stratsmom, Brisbane Trees and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sydney Smith
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It looks as though they're actually shouting at the poor sparrow. Two against one is a little unfair isn't it? I'm sure the sparrow managed to get back for some food later in the day though. Great photographs again Syd.:)

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Glad you liked the pics - I had the same notion seeing one Goldfinches beak wide open. Happy to say the Sparrow did come back for its drink and I imagine its thoughts were something like " glad they have gone - they think they own the place". Regards. Syd.

Attached Files:

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh my. Those finches are so beautiful. I would love to ship you all of the sparrows we have in the US. They are one reason that our Blue Birds where on the decline. I wish our finches had such beautiful colors. Great shot.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm glad he came back for his drink later. Our finches are all muted colors here though the males get a pretty red cast to their head and back. I guess most species can become bullies if they out number the others.

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Sorry for delay in replying - busy busy. They are lovely and happily most of our Finches(family) are quite colourful. Some of the Greenfinch males which have green and yellow plumage are almost yellow all over. Agreed that its all about numbers ref bullying but some species are normally/always far more aggressive than others. One thing whatever we all love our birds be they colourful or otherwise - what would we do without them??. Best wishes. Syd.