Horrible Fires in Australia!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Tooty2shoes, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

:eek: Wow I just could not believe the pictures I saw online today of the horrible wild fires still blazing in Australia. I pray that all of our Stewers from there, are safe and sound. One family in Tasmania had to cling to the piers of their boat dock for 3hrs to escape the fire. They said that they saw fire tornado's heading their way and knew it was going to be bad. Just reg. tornado's are bad. I can't imagine a fire tornado. Plus the temps are so high that they are calling it cataclysmic temps. So heart wrenching to see. I'm keeping in prayer all who have been effected by the fires. Prayers for comfort and hope. I also pray for safety for those who have fled the fire and all the fire fighters who risk so much to put out this fire.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Daniel W
      Replies:
      Views:

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning and thankyou for your concern, we dont have any fires in our immediate area but we have the smoke, visibilty is limited and smoke fills our house.Sparks which can cause fires are coming through the aircon units in some areas.We have to be so careful.Too hot for the beach, the sand will give 3rd degree burns to your feet.Too hot to refuel in some places so most things go 'belly up' for while.School holidays now so that is a help.
    The eucalypt trees [which are everywhere] give out an inflamable gas so the fires run along the tops of the trees to the next property.
    Grass is burning too.Last night there was a fierce lightning storm, no rain just lightning which starts fires, there are probably new fires from that which havent been found yet.
    Thanks again for your concern, we are not in danger here, but many others out in the country have lost there homes and animals, thankfully there has been no lives lost to date, we hope and pray it stays that way.
    The temperature here where we live is going to reach 40c/104f.Lock up the house and drink water is the advice.
    Thanks again.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good luck Sweetie. I have been thinking about you. Keep us posted....

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so glad you're not affected by the fires Chocolate - let's hope it stays that way. Do keep checking in as much as you can so that we know you continue to be OK.
    We have friends in Australia and we 'phoned them today when we saw the news on TV. Their area is suffering from 50C heat but, so far, no fires are near them.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That sounds like really scary stuff. Hope all our friends in Australia remain safe. And yes... please check in when you can.

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We had a few close to us in Arizona. It is indeed scary. Keep safe.

dooley

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Glad to know you are far, far away from the fire Chocolate. 40°C is wow!!! burning and with the smoke ... Yikes!!! unimagineable discomfort!!! We get smoke from our neighbour country across the straits once a year when they clear their forest for planting or plantation for replanting and it is terrible!!!

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Chocolate thank you for letting us know that you are safe. They should be telling people to wear respirators where the smoke is bad. As it can damage your lungs. Yes, please keep safe. Yikes, I can't imagine having trees that give off a flammable gas, or sparks coming in threw ones aircon unit. I pray that the weather breaks soon, and you get some cooler temp's and rain.
    When we had those bad fires here in states they used helicopters with water buckets hung from a cable. They could fly over a lake lower the bucket and fill it with water. Then fly over the fire area and drop the water where needed. But even with that, they had to be careful that they didn't pull in embers and soot into their engines.
    Like KK said. It is unimaginable unless you are there. People have seen a lot of destruction, and lost so much this past year from floods, and fires. I pray that 2013 will be a year of hope and rebuilding.

marlingardener likes this.
  10. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning, yes the water bombers are working overtime, planes and helicopters, Australia is set up for these firestorms but they still seem to win.The fire fronts are 100's miles long.So far no fatalities...hope it stays that way.
    Another dangerous day today.
    Dont need respirators yet, we are not close enough, visability is the problem for us.No sleeping at night it is too hot and sweaty.Temperatures will reach a new high today, so we will be staying inside.AND dont talk about the garden!

11. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

My oh my! This sounds absolutely horrible.The term cataclysmic heat makes my blood run cold.I feel for everyone,and the animals & brave firefighters.Will pray our Australian stewbies stay safe.
    sNs

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Having seen fire here in the distance, and smelled the smoke, I can sympathize. Our experience is absolutely nothing compared to what Australia is going through. Hopes and fervent prayers for all of you!

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Prayers from me too Chocolate. I hope you all stay safe over there. I had a forest fire about a mile or two from my house once, and that was scary enough. I am sure it was nothing compared to what is going on over there right now. I have seen some of the horrific pictures on the news though.