How I started my new seeds this year

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by petunia, Apr 2, 2008.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Hello nyg.
    Yes, I put 4 drainage holes on the bottom of the cups.

Biita: please do let me know if you have success, otherwise maybe we can figure out something together or with others help.

2. newyorkgardener

newyorkgardener Seedling

Thanks Petunia, I have started my veggies today using this method, it's sounds pretty fool proof. I hope to start my flowers soon, I am for my seed orders to come... :stew2:

3. petunia

petunia Young Pine

NYG: Please let me know how your seeds do as this is the first time for me and am excited its been working so well.

4. flark

flark New Seed

Thank you so much for the info on starting the seeds and congrats on the quick growth! :D

Advertisement
  5. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Your documentation of this method was very interesting and helpful. I think I will try this on some of my "hard to germinate" seeds also.

6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

o.k. I have just started my tomatoe seeds today by this method, will let you know how mine turn out. I have a friend who had just asked when I'd be having tom. plants as they want to buy plants from me. So I thought I'd better get busy. Around this area people will want to start buying in May. Most greenhouses or flower gardens will finally open in May.

7. jeannie078

jeannie078 New Seed

Well done Petunia, They look awesome.Keep going dear :stew2:

8. newyorkgardener

newyorkgardener Seedling

Hi Petunia. I have had excellent luck with this method with my herbs, I was wondering, how did you know when to transplant the germinated seeds to a styrofoam cup??? I'm not quite sure how big they should be. BTW, my veggie seeds are just starting to sprout. Thanks, Sarah :stew2:

9. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Awww petunia, I am having no kind of luck with my lemon balm,,,sigh,,,i'm going to give it another week, then probably break down and by a plant,,,,,,or 6.

10. petunia

petunia Young Pine

NYG: once I seen a small root coming out sometimes 1/4 in. Look again on my beginning picts. Then I put it in soil. Like I said back on april 8th I just had to put those in soil yesterday (Sat.) Good luck

Biita: Sorry you haven't had luck with yours. Do you still have some extra seed? I have been trying to find that but all I found was lemon basil-not close. Thought maybe if you had some extra, if I could try a few? The seeds on lemon balm are they hard or a very small seed? some herbs I did pick up like thyme and lavendar, oregano, chamomile are very fine seeds so I think I'm going to try the peat pellets with those ones.

11. newyorkgardener

newyorkgardener Seedling

Thanks, Petunia...

12. newyorkgardener

newyorkgardener Seedling

I have sprouts from my toms and peppers, my herbs are out of this world, I have to clean out my window seat tonight so I can start transplanting...

Biita: I was wondering where you have gotten your lemon balm seeds, I have started mine using the baggy method and I have such good luck, maybe you have gotten a bad batch of seeds.. :-?

13. mtathome

mtathome Seedling

I used to do that for growing sprouts for salads, using a paper towel instead of a coffee filter though. Never thought of doing it for garden seeds.

You have lots of seedlings there...fun!

14. petunia

petunia Young Pine

"I have to clean out my window seat tonight so I can start transplanting... "

I had my husband make me a 3 shelf stand to put my baggies on, then my newly transplanted plants on.
    2 & 1/2 of the shelves are already filled. I really need to take another pict this time of the filled shelves.
    Way to go nyg. Lets keep on keepin on. :)

15. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

Question about baggie method

I didnt notice anything that says to put air in the baggies? My baggies seem flat against the seeds and im not sure if i over watered them. Maybe i made the 'breather holes' to big? so the baggies stay snug next to the seeds? Is this okay or do i need to insert a toothpick or something to hold the baggies away from the seeds? Thanks :)

Sarah