How many TV hours?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Frank, Jul 11, 2005.

?

How many hours a week do you spend watching TV?

1. None - I hate TV!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. < 5 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. < 15 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. < 30 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. > 30 hours - I think I am turning into a TV!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I makes me snigger slightly when I hear people mention watching TV as one of their hobbies. Now I know it belongs under the definition of a hobby ("A hobby is a spare-time recreational pursuit. ") but I see a hobby as involving more than sitting down in an armchair staring at a box :D

So I thought it would be interesting to see how many hours a week our members spend watching TV? Are you a couch potato or at the other end of the scale do you even own a TV :eek: ??

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I watch approx 3 hours of TV a week and that's more than enough!! Too many other things to be getting on with while we have the long, light nights. :D

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I don't watch a lot of tv. My husband doesn't hear much so he watches it with closed captions. You should have asked how much time I spend on the computer. When he lets my dog inside she heads right to the computer to look for me and is confused if I am not here. Dooley

4. eileen

:D :D You sound just like me Dooley. I'd hate to actually work out how many hours I sit here!!! :oops:

Advertisement
  5. dooley

Today, I spent less time here. I had to have the window shut because of the smell. We don't have air conditionig or evaporative cooling because of Brian's inner ear disease so it got very hot. I had to shut the computer off. It was acting weird. It's okay now that it's late and cooling off Dooley

6. Frank

The amount of hours I spend in front of the laptop is beyond scary. I am constantly researching things, looking after GardenStew and generally looking for new opportunities on the Web. :smt024 :smt024

So what do you like to watch when you watch TV? I actually watch a lot of the Discovery channel, constantly absorbing new information :p

7. dooley

I watch most of my TV when I first get up while I get my head aligned for the day. Usually BBC America. They have a show called "Cash in the Attic" that I like. In the winter time when there is not as much to do outside I watch home improvement shows. Dooley

8. eileen

I used to watch Cash in the Attic too Dooley - never did find anything worthwhile in MY attic though. :( I like DIY programmes and, of course, garden programmes. :D Thing is I tape them to watch when I have some spare time and now I've got about 6x 3 hrs to watch!!! Maybe once the darker nights creep in again I'll get time to sit and watch some of them. :rolleyes:

9. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I hate to admit it, but I usually have the TV on about 10 hours a day. I probably only watch about 4 or 5 hours a day. Most of the time I have it on Fox News Channel. I have satellite tv and have to have noise in the background. My wife still works outside the home and I do most of the chores around the house and am here by myself almost all day. If I know I am going to be outside for long periods of time or I leave, then I switch it off! As the weather starts to get bad this winter, then I will watch it more!

10. tommy

tommy Seedling

i watch nothing that comes on t.v cause it is trash!

11. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

I love TV because it is trash! I never thought I would say this because for years I didn't even own a tv but during the winter I wallow in TV. This winter I swore I was going to draw up all the garden plans I have floating around in my head, but unless I get on the ball, that isn't going to happen!I limit myself to 2 hours a day, however. It could be quite addicting. I like "24", Desperate Housewives, Greys Anatomy, House. At one point I was such a news junkie that I cancelled the cable. Now I just get local news and don't watch that much since it is on during day light hours and I draw the line there. I don't watch TV at all in the summer--too tired by the time the sun goes down.

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most of my TV watching lately is using the TV to watch my favorite DVD's when I am knitting. Other than that the TV isn't on during the day and just a few evenings.
    There are a few programs I like, NCIS - Tom Harmon has aged really well;
    House - hard to get used to him being serious after seeing him for years on Blackadder; Numbers - I don't understand the higher math stuff but I enjoy the program; Rosemary & Thyme - when our PBS station has it scheduled, I have the first season on DVD and anxious for the 2nd to come out next month.

Toni

13. Frank

Hehe, I'm afraid I haven't seen any of these shows Toni :)

Have you ever watched any Alan Titchmarsh programs from the UK? The man's a gardening whiz and very entertaining. Definitely invest in his DVDs.

14. Heather

Heather New Seed

We turned our Satelite Dish off about 6 weeks ago and I don't even miss it. I liked the background noise too but now I just pop in my favorite CD or just listen to my kids play....boy the things they say!!!I was spending $80 a month and no one was watching it. My biys could take it or leave it.

15. Frank

That's amazing that your boys can do without TV. When I was their age I definitely had "square-eyes"!