How to rid Bermuda of fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Eric Dyer, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Eric Dyer

Eric Dyer New Seed

Hello all!

I bought my home last fall and it is the first home I have owned with bermuda. Any ideas on dealing with rogue fescue patches cropping up in the bermuda? Any ideas are appreciated!

FYI, I'm in southeast TN and the evening temps are around the 40's and the daytimes are in the high 50's to mid 60's. I thought this may make a difference as to how to currently treat.

2. Loading...

3. downcast

downcast New Seed

I live in NC and constantly deal with the same problem. I have a Bermuda lawn but the nearby community park uses that awful Fescue, so I always have to deal with patches of Fescue. Of course it grows much more quickly than the Bermuda, and it looks terrible.

The best way I know of to deal with it is to buy a "weed and grass killer", and selectively spray the Fescue patches. Be sure not to buy just a weed killer--it has to be a "weed and GRASS killer". Get the pre-mixed kind that comes with its own built-in sprayer, not a concentrate. (I like Roundup because it's very powerful and because it's rainproof after only 10 minutes, whereas some other brands take many hours.) Also be sure to spray only the Fescue and try to avoid getting it on the Bermuda!

This will kill the Fescue and the Bermuda will eventually fill it in (i.e. next season). The patches you treat will not look good after the Fescue is killed, but personally, where my own lawn is concerned, I hate Fescue so much I prefer dead, brown patches than that gnarly green crap. The way I see it, there was no Bermuda grass there anyway.

The only other option is to manually rip/dig out the Fescue, and you can guess how much harder that is.