Hyacinth colour, my stupid question of the day!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by playtime8978, Apr 3, 2009.

1. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

OK here goes, does the acidity/ quality of the soil/compost have any baring on the colour of the flowers the bulb produces? we have 3 hyacinths in a bowl that are the traditional blue and one that came from the same pot which my husband took out and repotted into a single pot that is coming up Mauve. I could have sworn all 4 were the same colour last year!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:

3. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Not sure on this one. Don't quote me but I think someone said last year that they put those red wood chips around and they got ?pink/mauve colored flowers. So I thought I would try that-I put red wood chips around mine right before winter set in, so we'll see what color I end up with this summer. Hope someone will come along to give you a better answer.

4. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

Thank you Petunia it might be its not such a stupid question and differences in what they are planted in do make a difference to the bloom colour, I just would never have thought it, this one as far as I am aware is just in compost which had something else in last year, maybe a geranium I am not sure.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Good question. Hopefully some one here will know. I've heard that the acidity level will change a hydrangea :shrug:

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Huh.. interesting question. I don't know much about hyacinth, but there are two that are growing in a little spot in one of my beds, right next to one another. They were from Mother's Day about 22 years ago, if you can believe that. One is blue and the other is white and they come up the same colors each year. They came from two different pots originally but have been beside each other in the dirt ever since then... Don't know if that adds much to the discussion, other than where they are planted hasn't seemed to have any effect on their colors.

7. Bonbon

Bonbon New Seed

Hi there,
    Just found this forum, and completely thrilled to see this question about soil acidity and hyacinth color. Every spring I go crazy when my hyacinth bloom pink, knowing without a doubt, I only purchase blue! I can't imagine what else is the cause....looking for suggestions to get the blue back in my garden. :)

Frank likes this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

www.oldhousegardens.com Here is a website that gives a interesting history about Hyacinths. It does mention them changing color, or going from a double bloom to a single blossom the next year. But not reason is given other than they just do it. It was a good read though. They are also specialize in Heirloom Flower Bulbs. So I will be checking them out to see all that they have available.