Hybrid Rose Bush

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by gardennut, Mar 27, 2014.

1. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I was just wonering, I have a hybrid tea rose called Peace, well last year it bloomed and it was not the right color or the right shape. It was small and red. I went out today and checked and the majority of the canes are growing from below the bud union, now can I cut them off and grow the right rose? If I do, it will only have about 1 or 2 canes on there. Is that what I should do and if I decide to do it when is the best time to operate?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. fatbaldguy
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

If your rose has been grafted on a root system, then by all means remove the canes that emanate from below the graft-- those are not what you want. you want only the canes which are produced above the graft.

I am a bit concerned about how your rose looked last year--it doesn't sound anything like "Peace".

You may want to return to the nursery where you bought it with a foto of those small, red roses from last year and ask them what they will do for you.

It is so unfortunate that these sorts of things happen from time to time. Perhaps they will either refund your money or supply you with the correct rose type. It is worth inquiring.

4. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Hybrid Rose

I went out and cut the cane that was below the bud union, there was only one so I cut it off and put fingernail polish on it to seal the cut. It has grown quite a bit since it has gotten warmer, I got a small cage to put over it when the buds come on, last summer something kept eating the buds or at least biting them off, so this time I am ready, I guarantee that nothing will bite the buds off, the rose was a present from a friend so I don't know where he got them, he got one for himself but it did not take off, it died, he did not have the sucess that I have had with mine. I just hope that this summer it looks and acts more like what it is supposed to be, it sure is growing fast though.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, GN--I wonder what that was that kept nibbling on your rose plant buds. I suppose that the list is endless.

Well, it sounds as though you have a solution in place now.

It was interesting to me to hear that your friend's same type of rose didn't make it. Hmmmm. Well, of course there are many factors that could explain this.

At any rate it sounds as if yours is happy and growing like a "weed". chuckle.

Good luck with that one.

Advertisement
  6. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

hybrid tea rose has buds

I was looking at the rose and it has buds! I am hoping that the rose will bloom the correct color and size, someone asked me if I was going by the picture on the tag, and the answer is yes. I am waiting impatiently for the buds to open to see what color they will be, here is the pictures of rosey and the buds.

[​IMG]
    the hybrid tea rose ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

[​IMG]
    one of the rose buds ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The critters nibbling on the buds were probably thrips. They can infest a rose and eat into the buds, preventing any kind of nice bloom.
    If you don't have a heavy infestation, hit the rose bush with a strong spray of water from the hose. If that doesn't control the little pests, spray your rose with a pyrethrin-based insecticide.
    The leaves in the picture look small for a Peace rose. However, wait and see what happens. If you get the small red blossoms again, the rose is reverting to the sturdy root stock, and the hybrid tea won't stand a chance.

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I've had roses revert on me and it is frustrating :-x I'm hoping my pink rose on the arbor stays true and hasn't reverted. This winter was so hard on things I don't know what I'll end up with!
    I hope your little rose starts to behave for you!! I've never had much luck with the little ones :-? This is sad too because I love them!

9. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

hybrid tea rose

I have figured out that the rose is not peace, the small red blooms have come back again and they are gorgeous! They actually opened up and I got a good picture of them. So here it is, I thought maybe it is a Mr.Lincoln tea rose but it is not very big, it has no fragrance because I actually got down and sniffed! The hummingbird has investigated it and they also like the Irises too, so I guess I will just enjoy the red blossoms and be happy that it is healthy and blooming at all!

[​IMG]
    rose bush ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

10. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

How stunning!
    What a beautiful, bold color!

I tried to get a climbing rose for my church, but the lawn maintenance company weed-wacked them. Ugh. I got one good season of pretty roses. That was it.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

The historic Peace Hybrid Tea Rose

Gail-Steman likes this.
  12. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Beautiful rose :heart: it look identical to my paler shade of white in full flower...hybrids are stunning :like:

13. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

When gardennut had shown the picture of the red rose that was suppose to be the Peace Hybrid Tea Rose, something did not match. I did not recall that the Peace rose was all red. :smt100:smt100:smt100:smt100:smt100

Gail-Steman likes this.
  14. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

It's not an all red rose and definitely an hybrid.:)

The Peace rose, formally Rosa 'Madame A. Meilland', is a well-known and successful garden rose. By 1992, over one hundred million plants of this hybrid tea had been sold. The cultivar has large flowers of a light yellow to cream color, slightly flushed at the petal edges with crimson-pink. It is hardy and vigorous and relatively resistant to disease, making it popular in gardens as well as in the floral trade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Peace

This links even more helpful about the rose in general.

https://www.gerbera.org/gardening-magazine/the-gardener-index/june-2005/peace-rose/

15. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

It was informative to learn that the rose had been named Madame A. Meilland in honor of Monsieur Meilland's mother.

Gail-Steman likes this.