I am grossed out over my little dog...eek..(he didn't eat )

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Sherry8, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

My Cairn terrier Scooter (like the wizard of oz, toto) was outside in the yard enjoying a nice cool day and when I called to bring him inside I noticed something next to him. I walked out and got very upset...stomach wise that is...How can you discipline a dog when it is natural for a terrier to chase and hunt. Well, he hunted a squirrel that came too far into the yard and literally ate all but the tail and some back end bones.We have the invisible fence so he cannot leave the yard or get into the bird pergola where the squirrel no doubt had been eating...but the squirrel made a mistake and he paid for it..I feel so bad for the little thing...especially because a couple weeks ago I ran over a squirrel by accident when he ran under my truck... I am waiting for my husband to come home and clean up the tail....I can't believe that is all that is left...

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. gardenelf
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know you can't exactly blame Scooter for what he did but I've never heard of a dog that's actually eaten a squirrel before. :smt078 I hope he doesn't suffer after a meal like that.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Eeewwww! Sounds gross Sherry and I would probably react the same way. I hope it doesn't cause doggie indigestion!

5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Poor little guy...I hope he is OK. Hopefully he won't mess with one again. :-|

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

He was just doing his job :smt106 Is kind of gross though

7. kate

kate In Flower

Hmmm...strange behavior!

I am surprised no one heard the scuffling.

I agree, I hope the dog had no ill effects.

:(

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I agree with Deanna... just doing his job but YUCK!!!

9. Freja

Freja New Seed

As some else said, he just did his job but it's still kinda gross...

I had a dog many years ago, a mix between Dobermann, Rottweiler and American Pitbull Terrier. She loved to hunt and kill rats :rolleyes:
    Our neighbour were breeding pigs, he had like 4-500 of them every summer and you can't imagine the size on the rats that came from there, trying to get into our house every autumn!
    Most of them were like 1ft long! (some longer and bigger!), tail included. My cats didn't have a chance to take em' so the dog helped in cleaning them away.
    She didn't eat them though, just killed them, took em' in and left them on the kitchen floor showing me and the rest of the family what a good hunter she was...

My neighbour stoped breeding pigs like6-7 years ago and our rat problem ended...

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

My family loved to eat squirrels not me.It doesn't bother me as their squirrel dogs always ate all that what left after they were dressed.If your raised this way it doesn't bother you.
    My dad raised rabbits and chickens for our food.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Well, when I was outside this morning the neighbor man was laughing and told me he threw a tail of a squirrel over into our yard. A hawk must of killed it in his yard and he thought he was being funny because he knows I feed the squirrels and birds...Funny...not...the poor dog had to sleep on throw away old towels because I didn't want him throwing up on his good bed....so I am relieved but I wish I would of talked to him sooner...would you consider this sick humor? I'm not sure..

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I don't think what your neighbour did was in the least bit funny Sherry. :-x What a nasty thing to do to anyone. :eek:
    I'm so glad that Scooter wasn't the culprit after all as I was worried that he might have picked up some disease or worms from eating the squirrel. I hope you told your neighbour exactly how you felt about his little 'joke' and that he never repeats it or does anything like that again.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That was a nasty trick! I'd be thinking of something to throw into HIS yard...

14. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think it's kind of twisted. I don't see the humor at all :rolleyes: Poor dog, I hope you spoiled him rotten :p

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:rolleyes: If that were my neighbour she'd be swamped in dead slugs. That was not very nice.

16. kate

kate In Flower

Sure is Sherry, of the worst kind I have ever heard neighbours do to another..what a parasite...

If there was'nt ladies I know a few choice words.

:scheming: :scheming: :scheming:

Love Droopy's idea but live ones all embedded in his Dahlias.

:D