I have questions about grapes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by miss_olmstead, May 22, 2007.

1. miss_olmstead

miss_olmstead New Seed

I have a old un kept grapevine in my back yard, was told the it was kept up really nice then my house became a rental and the arbor was taken down and the vines were let to grow all over the ground. I think ive found the start of it but i cant get to it just yet havent made it that far (getting rid of 5ft weeds)can I save the vine? what should I add to the soil if so. from ohio

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

I will start by saying that I don't know a great deal
    about refurbishing an older grapevine :-?
    but I found this:
    and more at this site

I hope this helps a bit. :)

4. miss_olmstead

miss_olmstead New Seed

ZUZU YOUR GREAT

i looked all over last night I guess I was not in the right place thanks so much you have been so helpful to me Miss_olmstead

5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

You're so very welcome, :-D I'm glad I could help.
    Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes looking, ;)

. . . you know, like when you lose your keys, :rolleyes:
    and you look everywhere, but they are just NOT in the house anywhere . . .
    but then your hubby picks them up, from the tabletop under your very nose :eek:
    and cruelly wags them in your face asking "you looking for these?"

. . . :oops: :oops: :oops: not that this ever happened to me, just an example.

Advertisement
  6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

This thread is quite old. So I don't know of the grower will ever come back to it. The question has come up with me. So I'll shoot if nothing, for the next guy.

The most common style of grape trellis is called kniffin, so a google search of 'training grapes to Kniffin trellis' aught to get good hits for illustration.

Grape is pretty forgiving it will bud back from pretty severe pruning. Grape tolerates bonsai training well.

The short answer is if you need to replace old trellis on an over grown grape you can cut the top back to stumps and get in to put up new posts or wire.

Frank likes this.
  7. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

If it's that old, I'm wondering if some of the cane did not root itself along the way, being years covered with new soil and leaf litter, etc. May be the reason she had trouble finding the main trunk. I have the exact same issue. An old, seeded grapevine that has been ignored by previous owner. However, I know where main trunk is. The trellis has completely rotted, and will be replaced next month. My husband does not want to prune, but i'm going to anyway.
    I also bought 3 different grape species from starks in Sept, and the new trellis will have all of them on it, minus the seeded variety...I'm moving it to opposite side of property when he's gone to visit a friend. This will limit my new grapes (seedless) from ending up with a few stray seeds in the fruits. ;)