I need more answers about my Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by margie12u, Apr 11, 2011.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hey every body I know you have said it and said it, but my tomatoes are tall and leggy I know you all said cut back the top or cut back the bottom leaves I can't remember, Please don't laugh, But I can't remember :oops: Please help I planted these back in early march how tall should they be now do you think?

Margie

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Pinch tomato tops out to make them bushy? This is the link to your question last month about your tomatoes, Sjoerd's information might be what you are looking for again.

How tall they are at this stage of growth is determined by the type of tomato it is and if it has been getting the right amount of sun.

If you know which variety you planted, let us know the name, inside or outside and how much sun they get...then the answers will probably be more helpful.

4. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Tomatoes

Hi toni they are big boys and better boys, I have put them out side right they are about 4 -5 inches tall, Some of them look good but some are just tall, I forgot about the other post last month I'm sorry.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Margie,
    The point of removing bottom leaves/branches is to prevent soil borne diseases (dirt with the disease hits the leaves during watering or rain, and infects the plant). I never top my tomatoes--just let them grow as tall as they like, so I'm no help there.
    If you haven't planted these Big Boys and Better Boys in the ground yet, you can plant them deeply, right up to the first set of leaves. If they are in the ground, you can let them lie down and cover the stem with dirt, up to the first set of leaves. Either method will let the plant develop more roots.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

I bought some that are leggy,, they were better boys I think !! I just dug a deeper hole to plant them !!

7. halfway

halfway Seedling

You can try laying them in the ground nearly horizontal. They top with bend straight towards the lights and the buried stem will produce additional roots.

8. halfway

halfway Seedling

You can try laying them in the ground nearly horizontal. They top with bend straight towards the lights and the buried stem will produce additional roots.