I need plant ideas for an island on my property

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Jan 22, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hi Everyone, I want to plant up on an island I have, I have woods behind it So I want to start from the woods and go out from there from tall to shorter, By the woods back there its kind of shaded and then it gets sunny, So what kind of flowers do you think is best, I would like to put tall zinnias in the back but I think they need a lot of sun, So I'm taking any suggestions,Its really a nice spot up there but needs a lot of color, It's a pretty big place.

Thank you for any help Margie :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Did you want annuals or perennials or a mix of both Margie?
    I don't suppose you have a photo of the area?

4. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

My island on my land

I don't have a pic. but there is kinda one on my garden area on here and it says under it how big and everything , Just imagine big ugly woods behind it,see if you can find it in my garden I wrote about it. Thank you so much

Margie
    It doesn't show a lot

[​IMG]
    Island Flowers and woods behind it ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

This is it but there is a loy of yard in front and a lot behind it, I'm sorry it doesn't tell a lot.There is probably 10 ft. behind it where the woods are and a lot of yard in front.

5. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

flowers

I would like to have both annuals and perrennials

Margie

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hey Margie!
    Today I was looking around for ideas for a little area of my yard and I came across this pretty pic of a flower island with woods behind and thought of your post today.

http://gardening.about.com/od/smallspac ... Border.htm

I thought the bush gave it some nice structure.

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What fun to be starting/planning a new bed. :stew1: This link hads some nice perennials that might interest you? http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/nature/woodland_flowers.htm

Don't forget the natives in your area. When most of the natives are put into beds they really shine for great beauties. I have some native ferns that have added great structure to the garden this winter and are wonderful fillers during the summer.

I am partial to hellebores for their winter/early spring blooms. Would love to be able to grow hostas, they really brighten dark/shady areas, but I won't fight the slugs so have never been able to get them going. There are a few varigated grasses that shine in the shade also.

Don't forget to show us some photos after you get your space up and going. Can you tell I am getting spring fever? :D

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

IS this the garden Margie?
    [​IMG]
    I see you have a Peony already planted here...are there any other perennials already planted here?
    I think this would look lovely loaded with Zinnia's! I'd also be tempted to plant a border of small yellow Marigolds (perhaps "Little Hero") for some bright yellow that would make the garden POP!
    Here's a photo of a Zinnia bed I plant up every year with forest behind, only I have edged it with Alyssum here.
    [​IMG]

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Margie, I think what Netty showed would look beautiful in your yard. What do you think? You are getting some really good ideas from the group. Do let us see some photos as your garden progresses. ;)

Netty, that is absolutely gorgeous! :stew1:

10. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

island flower bed

Hi Netty, Yes that is it. As you can see the woods back there, It is so ugly The little flower bed you see here is going to be moved becaus it is up to the front to much, I want to get things more organized, and in porportion, I love the pics. you all showed, I didn't have any ideas at all.I just know I need something tall in the back where the woods are,and did I say it is partly shady but it does get sun about 4 or 5 hrs. a day.I want something bright, If you all think of anything else let me know. And yes that is the pic. were i'm putting it.

Thank you so much for the pics.
    Margie :stew2:

11. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Flower Bed

Oh Netty, That's beautiful!!! Are those the giant ones? Do they make make med. ones I don't know.Those look like the giants. They would be great but I do have partial shade will they grow in that.Because I would love that toward the back. :stew2: That would be great color and the white is a mice touch.I have a med. butterfly bush up there also, But they are in different spots.And I can probably work around them don't you think?

Thank you
    Margie

12. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

island flower bed

What do you all think about shrubs for up there? We have to have a few of them. And maybe some potted ones to.

Thank you Margie :stew1:

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Netty -- that is gorgeous. Is that on your property too? I don't remember seeing that in your pics last year. So, so pretty.

Margie, I was thinking if you have one buterfly bush up there now, maybe you could add another one or two and with your flower choices, it could be a butterfly garden. How big is the spot? Is it large enough to put a little bench or chair so you can sit there and enjoy?

14. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

island flower bed

What do you all think about shrubs for up there? We have to have a few of them. And maybe some potted ones to.

Thank you Margie :stew1:

15. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Flowerbed

Hi Daisybeans, Yeah it is big enough for a bench and I just happen to have one.And there are 2 butterfly bushes up there so that could be an idea. I can't really sit on it but it will kind of fit in, what do you think? I fixed it up and cut holes in it last spring to put little flower pots in.you think it would be ok? Its about 40x 60 area.
    Thank you Margie

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

16. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Flower bed

That zinnia bed is beautiful I didn't realize it was yours, You don a great job, That's what I want . Could you just pack it up and bring it to Indiana, lol, I would take good care of it. I even have a water fountain I can use. Icouldn't get my assylums to grow last year I don't know what I did wrong I do like them Maybe I will try them again this year, Do they have different colors. My zinnias really done good last year though. So I will have them for sure this time. You all are so much help I have all kinds of ideas, I will show pics. for sure.I send you all Roses for the help!!

Thank you Margie

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )