I plant too much

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Jun 13, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

According to a neighbor (who doesn't garden) I plant too much--too much squash, too much cukes, too much beans--you get the idea. She was horrified at all the onions drying in the barn, and mentioned keeping that many hens is just foolish.
    I pointed out I like to garden, five families and a widow are eating from our gardens, and if she ever had an attack of kindness she could come help pick! I don't expect to see her knee-deep in cucumber vines any day soon:).

2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I also plant too much, I also have a few people that eat from my garden and there are always the preserves and reserves that we make for the winter.

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

She sounds a bit like my Mom. All she ever planted were about 5 pots of Daisies every Spring around the tree that was planted dead center in her front yard. My grandparents only ever planted a few tomato and pepper plants so my gardens seemed like an obsession to her and she just couldn't understand why I wanted that many flowers.

marlingardener likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

YOU can NEVER plant too much Jane. You have a heart of gold and give so much of your produce away to others who benefit from it so how can you possibly plant too much? I wonder how your neighbour would feel if she were ever housebound and you helped her out with your produce? Maybe then she'd change her mind and begin to see than being nice is far better than spending her time criticizing others. :smt021

Philip Nulty, Odif and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, I wish I had a heart of gold (and thank you for your kind but misguided opinion of me). I just enjoy gardening, and get such satisfaction in sharing the results--it's all about me!

Philip Nulty, carolyn and Odif like this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So what's wrong with that Jane? If you enjoy what you're doing and can feel good from helping others then keep doing exactly what you're doing. Your neighbour obviously doesn't understand what the real joys in life are.

8. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

What ever happened to being polite, and minding one's own business? Carry on marlingardener; you're doing just fine.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

ohhhh, I wonder what she would say about my garden then..... 250 tomatoes 150 peppers at least, 100 zucchini plants 50 holes with watermelon 100 of cantaloupe 4 rows of peas 10 rows of beans so far, 3 quadruple rows of beets and two quads of carrots... my oh my.and an acre of corn across the road. yep. certifiable I am.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, she'd faint dead away! In addition to offering great, home-grown and fresh vegetables at the farmers' market and at your home stand, you are teaching so many people the joys of good, fresh vegetables.
    Kudos to you, but I can't imagine picking 10 rows of beans--three rows nearly did me in this morning :setc_063:!

Henry Johnson and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, I planted another 2 pounds of greenbean seeds tonight. 500' worth. where does she think she would go if there was no food on the store shelves? I have a boatload of tomatoes left that need to find homes. I drove to a mans house today who plants a huge garden, I saw he was just working the garden up on Sunday... LATE as I have ever seen him do it... I offered him all he could plant in it for free...I know he tends to help out those in need...he is almost a community garden by himself. he had some ready to go in but he did come and take me up on the offer... took 3 flats of cabbage, tomatoes and misc. stuff. If we had a food pantry who would give out the plants I would be happy to donate them... but I can't find one. maybe tomorrow I will.
    and did she have any appreciation for the chickens and bees... did she think that was crazy too? it might be the only sugar available if a disaster... can you imagine... offer her the U-PICK jar of honey row to harvest..

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, people who drop by unannounced and want a jar of honey, I give them a jar and tell them to go get it! Our regular customers know our honey is seasonal but the "oh, they have hives so I'll get some honey since I'm going by anyway" folks think there is a spigot on each hive and honey is on tap.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Who knows what your neighbors thoughts were. Maybe she was worried about food going to waste, or maybe she was envious? She may not have the physical strength it takes to maintain hens and a garden. I wish I had more room to grow more than my 4 little raised beds and 3 large containers can hold. I think 'most' gardeners really enjoy sharing the fruits of their labor with others. I've learned so much and shared gardening info by talking with neighbors, their eyes like saucers when they see beautiful produce coming their way. For me, gardening is my hobby, my meditation, my grocery store, my exercise and my happy place. Where did Mom go? Look in the garden.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am always surprised to read about how folks there think.
    We have some here with the same gene defect.

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I get accused of planting too much food as well. I explain that I eat lots of vegetables and that I can the rest for use in the winter months. A lot of people think that is just weird.
    The comment that astounds me the most is "you know you can buy all that stuff at the store". UGH, makes me CRAZY!

2ofus, LIcenter and Odif like this.
  16. Odif

Odif Young Pine

That is exactly it, Netty I have the same thing some people don't understand, why I just don't buy the stuff in the store. Every day I walk past the bar on my way to the garden and the usual suspects are there. Always they invite me for a drink, but much as I would like to, I just walk on by. Now when I come past the bar, back from my garden, these people buy me a drink and buy my vegetables. Even the stores buy my veg, so when people ask me why I don't just go to the store, I just smile and walk on by.

Netty, 2ofus, carolyn and 2 others like this.