I'm Just Singing In The Rain.....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey--thanks GAIL. WEll, the rain is seriously needed, but I am afraid that the blight will almost certainly settle-in once the sun and heat arrives, unless there is s steady and constant wind to dry things off.
    You are right about the weeds (on all counts). Glad you appreciated the music as well.

Ahhhhhhh, Petunia-- Aren't you nice to say that.
    What a shame that the weather has been haviong a noticeable effect on plant life there. That "knee-high" addage gotr me to thinking about my corn. It is not yet exactly knee high, but it is already showing tassles! Gad!
    I reads that you have a number of good veggies planted...now just for a bit of decent weather...and they'll be off.
    I am sorry to hear that you do not yet have a roof for your greenhouse. You ought to be alright without it...but I think that when things work out for you to get that roof in place,you'll be happy with the things that you can do with it.
    I have never installed a drip system. I don't know if its good or bad for use with toms. I don't imagine that you need it just at the moment...but probably once it gets hot and dry.
    I am really glad that you like the postings, Petuni--and find some inspiration in then. That's great. I hope that your garden will get going there very soon...and that you can take some pictures. I am looking forward to seeing them.

Hee hee hee--DROOPY, you are funny. How did that scrubbing turn out?

2. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Looking good Sjoerd, looking good. :) We have had lashings of rain, just like you, and it has certainly helped things along. Seeds are germinating, especially the weeds, plants are growing, especially the nettles, and I keep getting wet through. Hopefully now you have had so much rain you will have a plentiful potato harvest. Your toms are ahead of mine, but mine are outside. I have also grown legend this year. An your peas look fab. Such full pods. Do you net yours so you don't get little wigglies in the pods?

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya EJ--

Thanks. My fingers are crossed for a good harvest. By counting--I am due to begin harvesting ~the middle of July. I worry about there being a lot of rain suddenly after weeks of draught. You can get "Hollow Heart" changes inside the spuds when it grows in spurts like that. I have had that one year.

I am sure that the only reason that my toms are ahead of yours is because yours are out of doors.

As for the peas-- I sure do net them...but the little wigglies are not the primary predator...it's jackdaws!
    I did have some little wigglies one year, but then never again.
    I went out to the fabric market earlier ...back in the spring and bought some very inexpensive sheer curtains (@ like, 3 euro's a yard). You can see one piece of curtain material in the very first piccy. The length of material protects three low racks of peas.
    It is functioning very well--no jackdaws and no wigglies. I use conventional nets if the peas are still blooming, though.
    I am glad to hear that you are growing Legend as well this year. I am interested to know how yours do over there.

4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Wow Sjoerd...I needed that jolt. Your garden looks wonderful. I really enjoyed the tour also!! I think I would have been doing the Gene Kelly thing also...the sound of rain ahhhhhh!!!

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hummer--don't you just love the sound of rain...on the window pain, or on the roof. A tin roof is the best.

6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I sure do!!

Sjoerd likes this.