In House - Bird Feeder

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by waretrop, Feb 17, 2013.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    kitchen bird feeder

[​IMG]
    kitchen bird feeder

[​IMG]
    kitchen bird feeder

[​IMG]
    kitchen bird feeder

Can you see how it sits right inside of the house. I used to sit right next to it and the little birds would come right over into the corner to take a peek at me. They really loved that thing. When we moved from that house we took it down and never put one in this house but I am going to do that soon. I will have to take out the screen and part of the window out and add a window for the upper part and then I will create a tank like structure with a clean out spot on my side.

I always just loved that thing and passed by these old pictures which rekindled my desire to install one.

2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

*gasp* I LOVE that!! Now I know what to do with my unused aquariums! (I have a few... a 2.5gal, 5gal, 10gal and 20gal...)

4. waretrop

Well, After closing 4 pet stores I have allot. If you use a laying sideways fish tank you can only service it from the front, outside. that's how that one was built. It was very high off the ground so I didn't have to worry about the bear trying to get into the house. Well, at least by way of the windows. They tried to use the doors many times. LOL

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What an ingenious way to get birds into your home without frightening them every time you moved or made a sound. It's also a wonderful way to get really close-up shots. :D

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

That looks really neat. But how well do they keep the cold from coming threw the glass and around the opening where you put it. As much as I have walked around in my house, past the windows with the feeders outside them my birds are always scarred of the movement.
    I bet they would make for some really great pic's of birds up close. :stew1:

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Very clever idea.
    But my first thoughts where the same as Tooty's... keeping the cold out of the house and how not to scare the birds with normal activity... although I suppose they would get used it.

8. waretrop

The tank fit tightly to the sides of the window. The cold was kept out with duct tape and a double window.

I also kept a green piece of felt in there so the birds wouldn't slip or feel funny on the glass.

I love to work with glass and fish tanks. I have made 4 inch deep, front to back, photography fish tanks, not for me to take pics, LOL. I designed a fish take around some duct work in one of my stores. I didn't want to loose the retail space. And have a patient for a "fish tank bird cage" although it has expired now. It was sure fun to do that. Also I have stood fish tanks on end and made terrariums out of them. They have their own watering system and drain. :p

This stuff is not what I call craftsie. I am really not good with crafts as we think of them.

9. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

oh oh oh I love this idea ty for sharing