Indoor lettuce?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by crystalblueatmosphere, Feb 25, 2010.

1. crystalblueatmosphere

crystalblueatmosphere New Seed

Well we started the lettuce and I'm glad to hear they like to germinate in the cold because we didn't have power for four days which meant no heat or grow lights. They sprouted sometime between yesterday and today and seem to be doing good. I plan on trying that other method using a pregrown head of lettuce soon. I'll put up pictures soon.

2. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

Crystal, glad to hear your lettuce is started. I'm going to give it a try too.

Bunkie, my family was over Sunday night for dinner. I had a romaine salad. I saved the bottoms and yesterday I noticed new growth. I am amazed and delighted too. Thanks for the tip! One question: Do you keep them in water as they grow or eventually pot them in soil?

Here's a pic of the new growth.

[​IMG]
    Romaine cores growing ( photo / image / picture from drissel122's Garden )

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great pics drissel! isn't it amazing how fast they grow?!

i have usually left them in water, but this year i tried potting them up once some roots showed up on the bottom and they did very well.

crystal, sounds like you had the perfect conditions for germinating! :D hope you all stayed warm!

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Drissel, you make me want to rush out to the supermart and get some romaine :). The weather and temperature had not been kind to us here lately. When ther is no breeze it is just like in a sauna even when indoors and when there is a breeze coming in from the window, it felt like standing in front of a burning oven door. My plants are dying not from lack of water but from the heat.

Been out shoping for lettuce seeds but none mentioned that it is warm weather species and we don't get seeds from Bountiful Gardens and Cook's Garden here Bunkie. When the weather permits I am going to try growing them in a real cool place in the house and if I have to use ice or cold water to water them I would do it. The weather now is really killing and water from the tap now is warm to hot. I wonder how much longer.............

Advertisement
  5. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

KK, there is even more growth today. It is exciting to watch it grow. I am looking at a package of organic mesclun lettuce I bought and wondering if it is possible to root some of those too.

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

drissel, i think it can be done with almost anything! i haven't tried beets tops yet, or onions, but have heard that others have had success.

kk, how about giving your plants some shade? tho, it does sound too hot for anything right now.

if my trials go well this summer with the heat tolerant lettuce varieties i mentioned, i will save some seed and send you some for next year.

i forgot to mention drissel, that i have started a Mesclum mix also. i'm sure this can be done if you let the plants get to maturity.

7. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

I

[​IMG]
    Romaine Lettuce ( photo / image / picture from drissel122's Garden )

I couldn't resist showing how fast this lettuce core has grown in just a day or two.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This is fascinating to watch your progress.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Err ...no I did not rush out to the supermart last night but my wife told me she had a iceberg lettuce head in the fridge. Guess who had lettuce for lunch today :D and it was delicious!!!

Finally I get to try to grow the Lettuce Head from the remaining stalk. The stalk broke while removing the leaves from it and so I am exprimenting with both of it. The coolest place I can find in my home is in the toilet and it is about 31°C or 88°F. Didn't realise that the toilet would turn out nice in the photo :D

[​IMG]
    Growing Lettuce in Toilet!! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

To keep it cooler I place ice cubes in the water to give it a cooler enviroment until it starts to grow which I am really hoping that it will grow. I am keeping my finger's crossed. :fingerscrossed:

[​IMG]
    Lettuce stalk ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Thanks bunkie I really do hope that your heat tolerant lettuce varieties will do really well. Anyway I will still try to plant whatever seeds I can get here locally when the weather is not that crazy hot like now.

Shades??? .... Hmmm it could work but I think by the time I get it up the weather might change :oops: . Lazy man thinking.

10. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

KK you are a kindred spirit. I love your photograph, you are right, it turned out very pretty. Good luck on the lettuce. I think it looks very promising and will grow beautiful new leaves for you.

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

very clever kk, putting ice cubes in the water! :D

i can't quite make out what you have there? see, as in drissel's picture, it's just the bottom of the core in the water, maybe an inch plus of the bottom of the core.

this will be interesting!

i probably shouldn't say anything, but in the bathroom, there's supposedly a lot of bacteria...from the toilet. not sure this is a good place to put it kk! :D

good luck! keep the pics coming you two!

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

KK, yes, clever to put the ice cubes in. I thought it clever of you to have lettuce for lunch so you could try your experiment too.

OK now keep us posted.

13. crystalblueatmosphere

crystalblueatmosphere New Seed

I was just rereading through these posts and I noticed the one that said it's possible to grow beets this way too, how would you go about that? Just use the top section that the leafy part grows out of and cut off the part you eat? I have beets in my fridge so that would be a fun experiment.

14. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for the positive thoughts Drissel.

Bunkie I had the photo labelled and hope that you can make out what is what :) . The clump of yellow thingy between the Stem and the ice cube is the broken top part of the stem. The Stem is from a lettuce head. Thanks for mentioning about the bacteria thingy, really appreciate that... I had it moved to the study which is about the same temperature.
    [​IMG]
    Labelled Iceberg Lettuce Stalk ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Daisybeans :-D :D

15. drissel122

drissel122 In Flower

KK, I"m not sure but you might want to flip it and have the stem on the bottom. My stem is on the bottom and the romaine is regrowing from the top.