Indoor plant, linear smooth leaves, long thin stem

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Samantha7V, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Samantha7V

Samantha7V New Seed

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Samantha7V's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Samantha7V's Garden )

This plant was given to me by my Mom a few years ago. It's at least 10 years old and continues to grow larger as we increase the pot size. I have no idea what its called even after searching the web. I've never seen another plant like this. I don't know the best way to care for it and basically experiment with water and sunlight every once in a while to try to figure it out. I don't know how to prevent the bottom leaves from browning on the tips. Even when I give it more water/less water or more sun/less sun it still does it. [/img]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Samantha7V

Samantha7V New Seed

No, they are thin and flexible. I could roll it into a tube around a pencil for example. They have never flowered though.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oleander leaves are flexible too. And without the proper amount of sunlight and fertilizer it wouldn't bloom.
    Maybe someone else here more experienced with house plants will ID it for you.

Have you tried taking a photo of it to a local garden center to see if they had one similar or know what it is?

Did your Mom receive it as a gift all those years ago? It could have come from a florist which recommended that it be kept inside. Sometimes florist grown versions of plants do require less sun than nursery grown.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think this is a type of dracena. Will keep looking though for the real name.

7. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, I am going with oleander too, could even be a variegated one, when a leaf is broken off is there a milky sap oozing out?If there is....definitely oleander.