Interests and Hobbies.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sydney Smith, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Just a thought this - a little something to natter about perhaps. We are all keen gardeners (and waiting for Spring eagerly) but also have our other interests hobbies etc - things we like to do both indoors and out. Anyone care to comment?.
    Mine are.
    Outdoors = Gardening,Photography,Walking, Birdwatching and Wildlife generally.
    Indoors = Reading - Collecting and Researching Pottery and Porcelain - DIY of all types - Watercolour painting (when in the mood) - Music of most types older and newer - Steam Locos - Looking at general travel and interest DVD's - Chess when I can find a partner and of course the PC which has so many outlets of interest and information.
    Those are the main ones and it keeps me pressing on though have to say I am retired and not short of time to do them all.
    Any comments?.
    Syd.

Totally forgot to mention photography so have inserted it as an edit.Syd.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Jordan
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. eileen
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Syd,

I share several of your interests.
    -I can relate to the gardening, walking, wildlife interests.
    -I can relate to indoor reading. I belong to a book club that I love.
    -Music I can relate to, our house is full of music most of the time.
    -I also enjoy yoga, going to the health club, meditating, and biking.
    -Oh!! And eating. I love to eat. We watch cooking shows.

Those are my main non-work interests.

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM. Really nice to talk with you again - have missed our little natters. I know that you are always very busy and so its good to see you have these interests for relaxation when theres time.
    Good also that Spring will soon be sprung and we can all get back to our outdoor activities in the garden as other things.
    Timewise as I said being retired I have aplenty but do always keep myself busy at something or other. Have been having a lot of problems with PC including a bad virus which meant having the hard drive completely wiped clean and the whole issue being reinstalled - hopefully alls now well. Looking forward to seeing others perhaps comment on this so as to say hallo again.
    Keep well - best wishes.
    Syd.

5. Cayuga Morning

Syd--Sorry to hear you have had computer problems. I hope you have a reliable fix-it person.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I enjoy a lot of the same things too ... the outdoors, reading, eating. I also like to cook/bake this time of year. My kids keep me busy with skating and soccer. I have been enjoying watching the winter Olympics. I also enjoy genealogy.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, an interest my husband and I share is wildlife--bird watching, providing cover and food for various four-footers, and doing little presentations to clubs about what the ordinary citizen can do to help critters.
    I love to cook--bake bread, make any dish that takes two days, and mess with herbs.
    I quilt, but only a little bit since I hoop quilt and having a heavy quilt on your lap in Texas can get darned warm!
    And silly as it sounds, chickens! I love to watch the girls and their antics, and caring for them is like caring for 17 not-very-smart pets. Perhaps that is why I enjoy the hens--they are not smarter than I am, unlike our cat who can outfox me in a minute!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I stay very busy with work, and the grandkids of which I have 8!

In the warmer months of course I garden.

I am a ballroom dancer, it's probably my favorite hobby.

I read voraciously. I routinely have several books going at once. Right now I'm reading a mystery novel, and a couple of different health/fitness books…..well, and the usual magazines, catalogues, etc.

I go to the gym too, like Cayuga Morning. I'm determined to lose some of this old lady flab, so I pound on the treadmill and strength train several times a week.

A newly emerging hobby is photography. I was given a lovely new camera at Christmas, and I'm really enjoying the learning curve, and the results!

9. Cayuga Morning

Ronni--I am glad to hear you are enjoying your new camera. Nothing like a new hobby.

MG--I think of having chickens, but haven't taken the leap as yet. Maybe after I retire.

Netty--Do you use a particular website for your genealogy research?

10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM, Netty,Jane,Ronni,all.
    Good to see you and say hallo again - been a bit quiet lately but now the gardening season is starting to gather pace t'will be nice to natter/chat more often.
    May I answer "en bloc" pse since so many of our interests overlap and are enjoyed equally by us all.
    The PC problems were severe with a very bad virus deep in the hard drive - took the techie three increasingly determined efforts to remove it. Then reloaded it all as to software programme and added my extras, AV etc etc. Good chap and very reliable.
    Cooking now theres something that really is a wide subject and with plenty done especially if with children to cater for also. Good to enjoy it as an interest at the same time. Same applies to outdoors, birds, wildlife and all other aspects of Ma Nature - these being things that we all including children love. Have the feeling myself that there is also a strong connection to these things with gardening - if you love one you love them/it all. Always encouraged my own two boys to the outdoor activities including the wildlife and sports and they grew up loving it all - they still do though they are both now nearing their middle to late 50's - eldest is 59 in fact. Saying that makes me feel positively ancient but theres life in the old dog yet! - t'was in fact my 80th birthday last week. Have two grandchildren but do not see them often since they live abroad - keep in touch by phone - emails etc. Congrats to Ronni on her eight she mentioned who for certain make for masses of fun and interests for her.
    So many many interesting things to do both indoors and out if one has a mind to do them, we obviously all have. Apart from any outdoor excersise there is again as Ronni/CM said dancing, gymwork and also much more to do indoors. A good mixture of both active and relaxing, indoors and out, physical and mental interests sounds like the thing I think.
    Ref photography I totally forgot to mention that its a main interest of mine also and again it combines with the garden, birds and wildlife to name only a few things/subjects. A complete camera "nut" I love it all but cannot as with anything else claim to be expert. Frankly I often struggle to cope with all the complexities (to me) of them but at the same time I can just set it to auto and fire away - then easily uploaded from the camera to PC and edit if you wish - no developing as of old and just delete any you do not wish to keep. I have a Canon, two NIkons and a Sony and use them all - find them all very good indeed.
    Last comment and its ref Janes chickens and her saying she loves them the more since they cannot outwit her as can her Cat - thought occured to me is that why I love Pottery and Porclain so much ?? - nuff said. Respects to all and hopefully more will join in and comment.
    Syd.

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd,
    You certainly are right. I've never met anyone who is interested in wildlife/nature who doesn't garden also, even if it's on a windowsill.
    And a very happy, if belated birthday! (Jerry keeps a spreadsheet of Stewie birthdays. Let him know when yours is and next year you will be inundated with good wishes!)

12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. Thanks for the kind birthday wishes - date was actually 12 Feb. Dare hardly utter the year 1934 it was so long ago - a lot has happened since then.
    Ref the gardening/general wildlife/bird association as we agree it is really impossile to disconnect one from the other - again for myself I see each one as an extension of the other albeit the garden is mostly of our making as against the totally natural "as is" set up "out there".
    Nice to talk to you again (as to all) and looking forward to more in the coming months.
    Best wishes and thanks again.
    Syd.

13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry we all missed your birthday Syd. I hope your day was a special one for you.

My interests and hobbies are:

Gardening,
    Wildlife photography,
    Bird watching,
    Sketching and painting,
    DIY,
    Crafting (making cards, Calendars etc)
    Sewing,
    reading,
    Crossword puzzles, and, of course, my computer.

I also take care care of sick or injured wildlife in the hope of being able to return them to their natural habitats.

14. Cayuga Morning

Happy Birthday Syd!!!!(belated)

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

[/quote]Netty-do you use a particular website for your genealogy research?

16. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

I don't seem to have many of hobbies like you guys.

When I am not working nights, I like to read, go for walks, gardening(when weather is nice), spending time with family and friends.