Interior paint dilemma

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by nicko916, Jan 30, 2009.

1. nicko916

nicko916 New Seed

Hello,

I'm a first time poster and a first time homeowner as well.

I have the upstairs paint finished already (pics were the in progress pictures, carpet has been replaced). To give you the idea of the transitional area that I'm having a hard time figuring out here are a few pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see I have a blue color coming down the stairwell and the stairwell is visible both from the front dining/family room and the kitchen. The wood floors I have going in downstairs are a hair darker than the cabinetry. I do not quite know what color to do the downstairs that would complement all the color components that are there. I also have no furniture currently which expounds the difficulty in deciding on what to do downstairs. I want a warmer feeling downstairs to contrast the cooler, airy, soothing upstairs that is already planned out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Nick and welcome to GardenStew :stew1: I have tried running the cool blue colour you used on your stairwell through a program I use to determine colour complements. Here is what I came up with:

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.colorjack.com/sphere/

The first colour is the blue of your stairwell. Personally I think the 3rd would complement well and it is warm like you mentioned.

Hope this helps. Let me know if want me to tweak it further and I'll be happy to do so.

Best of luck!

4. kdavisinteriors

kdavisinteriors New Seed

Welcome to GardenStew neighbor! I think a chocolate or mocha brown would look nice. It would compliment the blue in the stairway and provides that warm feel you are looking for. Plus design options for downstairs would be endless because so many colors compliment shades of brown.

Hope this helps! Have fun!