Internet (Aquiring Network Address)

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by cam2790, Jun 19, 2008.

1. cam2790

cam2790 New Seed

Every time I restart my computer, I have no Internet Connection. I am using an LAN connection, and I've found out that I can disable the connection, then re-enable it, and it will wearch for the new Network Address..
    I was wondering why it does this, can anyone tell me what settings to change for my internet to automatically connect when my computer starts..
    TYVM.
    cam

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi cam, what operating system are you using?

4. cam2790

cam2790 New Seed

I am using windows XP with service pack 2, on a gateway 500gr

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Unfortunately I'm using Vista so I can't 100% answer your question. However I have an alternative solution: how about not restarting your computer at all? You can achieve this by using XP's Hibernate feature. I wrote about it here:
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about7183.html

Advertisement
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi there,

I think most of the internet settings can be adjusted by visiting start-control panel-network connections or network set up wizard.

Hope this works for you.

Thanks

RG

7. gman1

gman1 New Seed

Control Panel -> Network Connections

- it should now list all of your networking connections, one of which should be "Local Area Connection." Make sure that your "Local Area Connection" is enabled. If it isn't, right-click on the icon, and go to enable.

Another trick to try:
    - go to Start->Run
    - enter in "cmd" and hit OK
    - when you see the DOS promopt, enter in "ipconfig /release" (enter) followed by "ipconfig /renew" (enter)

8. arv

arv Seedling

How do you connect to the internet ? Do you have a modem / router ? Most likely you don't have what is called a static IP and everytime you connect you are assigned a new IP address . I am not positive but if you were to start the DHCP service automatically everytime you switch on the computer , it will connect automatically .
    Go to control panel > administrative tools > services and put DHCP to start automatically .

9. wilsonmian

wilsonmian Seedling

I think that is the best solution for using an internet connection via LAN. I have DSL and it configured by DHCP. I have no problems with it. Even I have reinstalled windows several times but it never give me an error.