Invasive Giant African Snail - GAS-

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Pacnorwest, Sep 21, 2023.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

IMG_3481.jpeg IMG_3482.jpeg
    The Giant African Snail (lissachatina ) was first found in southern Florida in the 1960s, and it took 10 years and $1 million to eradicate it. It was reintroduced in 2011, and eradication efforts were completed in Broward and Miami Dade counties in Florida in 2021. State and Federal officials are responding to a new introduction of the invasive snails—this time in Pasco County, Florida. This pest remains a threat in Florida, Hawaii and the Caribbean. One of the most damaging snails in the world because it consumes at least 500 types of plants and can cause structural damage to plaster and stucco structures. This snail can also carry a parasitic nematode that can lead to meningitis in humans. One of the most damaging snails in the world. GAS reproduces quickly, producing about 1,200 eggs in a single year.

Logan, Sjoerd and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I'm thinking of a bait in the center of a flat surface. With 2 wires of electricity around it.

But how to make such a contraption pet safe? That's the real challenge in my opinion...

:headscratch:

Give me a few days, and I'll come up with something practical.

Right now I can only think of a large disk over this trap I described above. The distance between the flat surface on the ground and this disk over it should be such that pets can't get into it, but these snails can - So they get attracted to the bait in the center. And get electrocuted into an oblivion as soon as they encounter the 2 wires!

But how to now make this contraption rain proof? Well, that depends on where and how we place such a trap, so that should be easy.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    Logan and eileen like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I once built a humane mouse trap, which became very popular, (see video below). So maybe there is a way to humanely remove this pest away from the area... Not sure though, so I'm just thinking out aloud.

Logan and eileen like this.
  5. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Zigs used to have two of these snails. He kept them as pets :confused: They were called Eric....both of them o_O

Logan likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

ick.

Logan and Zigs like this.
  7. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

No, no no... Eric. Eric the snail, they were gastropods :)

Logan, Tetters, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Hey Daniel, maybe we should try ''Yuck'' :rolleyes:

eileen and Logan like this.