Is it too late to plant potatoes?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by mOO_cOw, Jun 18, 2008.

1. mOO_cOw

mOO_cOw New Seed

I live in the south and it always stays warm even half way into november.

They will be grown in large grow bags.

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I am not sure, but I live up in Vermont and we have a shorter growing season. I have planted mine in tires and will be stacked as they grow. I just put them in 2 weeks ago. So I assume with your warmer climate and longer growing season you should be fine. mine have started to pop up.

4. mOO_cOw

mOO_cOw New Seed

Thanks

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There are all sorts of potatos that you can plant at different times in the season.
    Here is a little diagram that someone made and I use on my website to give readers a general idea of when to plant. I made it this size to comply with the size that we may use on the Stew. You should be able to make-out the words.
    Perhaps you can use it as a guideline, as seasons and temps in different zones vary.
    It also uses such terms as, "2nd earlies", "main crop" and "Late main crop" to indiocate what type of potato to buy (as spuds are classicied and sometimes sold under these headings).
    You can see over to the left of the diagram the types; and above, the months (divided into weeks) in which each type should be planted.
    [​IMG]
    There will surely be some sorts that you can buy in your area...or perhaps over the internet.

Good luck with your spuds.

Advertisement
  6. mOO_cOw

mOO_cOw New Seed

Thanks. Going to the local nursery in the morning to see if they have any potato seeds.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Fingers crossed...
    Good luck. Besure and note the names of what you buy so you can tell us.
    Good luck, MC.

8. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

If they don't have any seed potatoes just buy some potatoes at the grocery store and leave them in a sunny place. That will start the eyes growing.

9. mOO_cOw

mOO_cOw New Seed

Do I need to cut them into pieces first or cut them after the eyes start growing.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I can't offer any valid opinions on cutting them, as I never do that. I always just buy seed potatos and plant them after chitting them.

Having said that, I will say that I guess that it would not matter. I say this because I noticed that this year when potato leaves came up in last year's patch, I dug them up and found that they were growing out of tiny slivers chopped-off with the spade--this means that they can be cut before planting.
    On the other hand, if you let them chit before planting, then at least you can see which "eye" will actually produce growth.

But the bottom line is; as I said, I do not know for sure.

11. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Once the eyes are growing, cut the potato into chunks. I did 2 eye per piece. Let the wet pieces sit out for a day to dry out and then plant them.

Good luck

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You didn't say what part of the south
    so here in Texas it is now to hot to plant potatoes as your plants will take up to much to grow both potatos and plants.Mine die back early .Its better to start them in August an they will grow through and up and by then it should be a little cooler.I would start in early Sept.myself.
    We usually have potatos in the ground here on Feb the 14th and if frost isn't over then cover your bag tops.
    it is hard to grow in bags or tires because of fire ants in this part of the country.I have tried putting ant poison on plastic and then putting the bags down on top of plastic and keeping the ant poison around the bags or tires but it didn't keep them out.
    Good luck