Is my white fir dead?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by SadSunday, Apr 25, 2024.

1. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Hi! I got this little white fir (apps say it's common juniper, etc.). But it looks pretty sad. If it's not dead, maybe there is something I can do to improve the little tree/shrub? Thank you!

Attached Files:

S-H likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Doesn't look completely dead but I am not that good with trees and shrubs. Hopefully someone in the group has a better solution and diagnosis.

SadSunday likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Juniper trees are very tough, and have a very long lifespan, (350 to 700 years). My country has an entire forest of them in one region, (link below). So I think your little tree is alright, it'll bounce back eventually. As trees with such a long lifespan by nature are very resilient. They have evolved to withstand drought, snow, heavy rainfall, as well as earthquakes which can potentially alter the topography. Plus forest fires and lightning strikes, basically everything nature has to throw, they experience all of it during their long lifespan - Yet these trees not only survive, but thrive! So no need to worry too much, as it'll be alright soon. Just let it have some regular direct early morning sunlight exposure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziarat_Juniper_Forest

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024 at 5:17 AM
    SadSunday and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Interesting and informing article on the forests in Pakistan nice to see these forests. I never thought of forests in your country. We have so many here in the PNW. I have many different varieties in my garden.
    http://nativeplantspnw.com/common-juniper-juniperus-

SadSunday and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Clay_22 and Pacnorwest - thank you!
    S-H - thank you very much for a heartwarming message! Warmer and sunnier weather is coming (Europe) and I now have hope for the plant!

S-H and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

While I was away for a few days, I kept thinking about your plant. So now I think the solution might be hydrogen peroxide H2O2 - Because I suspect the soil might have some fungi in it. Therefore a little diluted solution of the H2O2 introduced I to the soil might fix everything.

Another reason could be that the soil might be depleted of iron. So take a few small iron nails (as many as will fit in a tablespoon. And push them deep I to the soil - After which this hydrogen peroxide treatment can be applied. Which will make those small iron nails rust away faster into the soul. Thereby restoring iron in the soil for many years.