Is there a solution to scale insects?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Kiasmum, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I have 4 Ficus Benjamina that I have to constantly scan for scale insects. To be honest, I'm getting fed up and was wondering if there is anything I can use to deter them apart from nematodes which are ultra expensive?

moderator's note: corrected Chatspeak see point 3.2 of usage rules

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Lovemygarden
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm sorry, I can't help you. The only cure I've found is to throw the plant out to get rid of the pest altogether. :(

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've heard that Provado Bug Killer is supposed to get rid of scale insects. However, being an organic gardener, I've never tried it for myself. I'd follow Droopy's advice and throw out or, preferably, burn the plant.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

It depends on how infested the plant is. I would first try a paper bowl with alcohol and wipe each leaf top and bottom also check the stalk for scale and wash that too. Do not let the plant touch other plants. Check every few days for new evidence of scale. Depending on your preference you can mix a concentrated systemic with water and spray the plant....do this outdoors. There is also a granular product that you mix with the plant soil and it too acts as a systemic and kills the scale. It you want the brand names I will give them to you in a PM.

Jerry

Kiasmum likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Kiasmum;
    You might get the info you need at this link:
    <http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg005>
    Hank

Kiasmum likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

If you are not worried about being organic Bayer makes a rose fertilizer that contains imidclodprid sp? that is a systemic insecticide. It works very well, from the inside out of the plant. Any sucking or chewing insects die as soon as they take one bite.

8. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Thanks for the ideas :) I'm not keen on using chemicals so I'm going to have another go with the rubbing alcohol(thanks Jerry) and if that doesn't work I think I'll try the fish oil.

Henry,that was a very interesting article-who knew there were so many species.

9. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I have had success with a systemic applied twice a year. First, when they go out for the summer, then again when they come in for the winter.
    Scale insects can be so pesky and frustrating!!!
    I hate when the plants get the sticky secretions on them Yuck...
    I like keeping them outdoors during the warm months (in the shade) I think natural predators help too.

10. theficuswrangler

theficuswrangler New Seed

The good news is that scale are not awfully hard to control,and you don't have to use poisons; I've eliminated them from many, many ficus trees. Alcohol will kill them, of course, but straight alcohol is harsh and stressful for the leaves. Here's what you do: into a spray bottle, put 1 tablespoon of horticultural soap, castille soap, or mild dish soap; 1 tablespoon of Neem oil or canola oil; 1 teaspoon of alcohol; and 2 - 4 cups of water. Spray the tree, on the top surface of the leaves as well as the under surfaces, until the tree is dripping. Do this once a week for 3-4 weeks. You can change around the ingredients, but you need the soap and/or oil to smother the insects it lands on; spraying enough so tree is dripping; and every week for a period of time, because only the insects the mixture lands on will die - eggs that hatch after the spraying will not be affected, so you have to spray several times to totally interrupt the life cycle. And for goodness'sake, don't throw away plants just because they get bugs. Spend a little time looking at your plants, examining for pests, and control them before they are in runaway condition.

purpleinopp likes this.
  11. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Thanks for the recipe :p

I have battled these little critters for quite a while now and I have removed the plant that I thought was the cause and I now have 2 clear plants for the first time in a very long time.When the resident spider in the 3rd has gone elsewhere I will target my efforts on that one and hopefully just have to scan them once in a while not every week.