Is there any hope for my phalaenopsis?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by SadSunday, Dec 18, 2016.

1. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Hi. I received a phalaenopsis as a present (I had no previous experience with it before, it was probably bought in a shop - these plants are quite popular as presents in my country right now). But in few weeks all it's blooms and leafs fell down, and the whole plant just dried out. I cut the stem at it's forking, but it seems to be not helping - the plant is in a very bad shape. I am enclosing a picture, maybe it's dead for good or it is a way to revive a plant?

Thank you.

http://i.imgur.com/nO417ma.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I am not an orchid expert by any means, but I have several that I've nurtured for years. Honestly, yours just looks dead. There's no green anywhere. There should be visible, thick green roots and some green on the stem that's left, and I'm not seeing anything but dry, dead stuff.

There are others more knowledgeable than I here, and perhaps they will have a different opinion.

4. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Thank you, Ronni. I guess it's obvious that the plant is dead, just didn't want to toss it away if there was any hope to revive it somehow.

5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I'm with Ronni. I have two both store bought locally in grocery stores. The oldest one bloomed for a long time and when the blooms faded I cut the flower stalk back. This prompted 1 more leaf to grow giving it 5 thick green waxy leaves. No signs of another flower stalk (but I live in hope.)

It is planted in a double pot in that the flower part is planted in a clear plastic pot with big slits on the bottom (so it won't sit in water) and then this is held in a decorative outer pot.

About once a month I absolutely soak this orchid 'til all the roots are totally wet. I sit it in the sink to drain and the plop it back into the decorative pot.

As I said I've had it about a year now. It grew a leaf but no more flowers or stalk that even look like they could flower but I do have "GREEN" leaves.

Hate to say it but your orchid looks - umm (being gentle) like it is beyond life support aka dead.

I have no long history of growing orchids but they're also super popular here right now. When I got the two I have I was hoping they'll continue to grow and flower over the years. (The second orchid was only acquired recently so it is still blooming from the original Grower).

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Islandlife, I've had success with getting my orchids to re-bloom by moving them to a different location. Even though the conditions seem ideal, they're finicky things and a change in location, different light source, different air flow or temperature or whatever the heck it is have created more ideal conditions for them to start blooming again. I don't pretend to know what their idiosyncrasies are, just that they have them, and the introduction of a change after a period of no growth activity is one of the things that have encouraged new blooms in mine.

Just a suggestion.

7. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Islandlife, Oh, don't worry, I know that you are stating the obvious, just decided to get a second opinion than to throw away a plant and then realize there were a bunch of thing I could have done to make it live again. I got it recently, so I didn't form any mental attachment to the plant :D Ronni is right, they are very sensitive to changes, so maybe the flower just didn't like the room very much :D I will keep your tips in mind in case anybody else will gift me a orchid... Thank you!

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Like most people, having an orchid is interesting as their flowers usually last a long time. If they receive enough water and care, they survive for years. On the surface, your plant is deceased but its demise probably began much earlier. Perhaps even before the giver procured the plant.
    If you still have the plant you could extract it from its pot and look for any stock/leaves among the roots that may have been hidden from view. Finding none, then a trash can is your best option. Some greenery? If you wish to experiment then place the remains(greenery only) in a plastic bag with some moisture(a wet paper towel often works) seal the bag but not completely and placing it in bright indirect light, watch. If any spark of life is present, an experiment on survival is on. It is now wait and watch. How long? Three weeks to a month. Orchids grow slowly. On deaths doorstep….it’s an experiment. If it has made it to the trash already then we can stop here. If not we may have the makings of a winter experiment with an epiphyte in progress. And more to come.

Jerry

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  9. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Wow, thank you, Jerry, sound like a great idea. No, I haven't disposed the plant yet, so I might be up for this experiment. I will most surely look for something green and will try your suggested method.

10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Ronni - Good idea to move it around. Hadn't thought of that but I've got a few locations that I could plop it down to see if that prompts it into flowering again.

I've read too that they need specific fertilizers and honestly I haven't fertilized either of the orchids I have with anything yet. I do keep 20-20-20 and will haul it out to fertilize all the houseplants etc come spring and early summer.

The first orchid has only been maybe 6 months without flower so I'm not too sure how long it would take to normally naturally flower again anyway. Hopefully it will and if it doesn't the leaves are kinda neat to look at too.

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Sad Sunday - Hopefully you'll find a spark of life and can go on 'life support' !! ;) MAYBE!

12. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Sadly, orchid named Bob passed away to the trash bin yesterday. It had no green roots (just gray, black and brown mess, and I even noticed a tiny tiny "germs" everywhere, but suspected reason of death is over-watering by its owner, roots seemed wet, but sluggishly brown). The family is doing just fine (as always), and plans to concentrate on other plants.

I guess orchids are just too delicate for me, I prefer plants with some guts.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Islandlife and carolyn like this.
  13. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Condolences. Good to know the suffering is now over.

;) ;) ;)