Is this an aphid?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Hollysoo, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Hollysoo

Hollysoo New Seed

Hello my name is Hollysoo. I have finally after 2 previous summers gotten my balcony gardening skills pretty good for a beginner. I have this beautiful big hanging pot of beautiful flowers but recently I have found these little black round things, they look like they could be eggs but they are not in clusters. As well I have found these long tiny black bugs in the center of my flowers. I have noticed that some of my flowers are looking ragged as well. The leaves seem fine though. I have tried my best at getting a clear picture in hopes someone can confirm with me what these things are. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Hmmm...for some reason I can't upload my picture it say it's too much data for the server???? Anyhoo...the bugs are tiny approx 1-2mm long has legs looks like the head is attached to a slim body. And I have just noticed smaller ones and they are same shape but almost a clear color. How do I stop them from affecting my plants health?

2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Without a pic, it's hard to say for sure. If you're able to rinse/rub them away with fingers & garden hose, they probably are aphids. They don't usually come back after doing that once or twice, but if it's a bigger plant, that can be difficult at all.

I often have pics rejected from upload for size reasons too. I just wish it would check file size before making me wait for the upload, then determining it's too big. If you crop the edges off of your pic, that should reduce the file size enough to be accepted.

An image search should also allow you to compare the critters you see to pics of known aphids.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=aph...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI8oTRo5zixgIVBEiSCh1yfwKB