Its official the seedlings are taking over the house

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Danjensen, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

There comes a time in our house when the seedlings start to take over. And each year with me looking to plant more, there are more seedlings.

With 4-6 weeks before I can start transplanting outside, I have seedlings/potato's on every available windowsill and my new purchase of a 6ft table for the main soft window is full of trays.

The wife refers to it as the month of the tryphids :D

I'm slightly concerned as I think i still have one more poting up to to do and a few more flats to plant.

I'm curious how you guys deal with this seedling time?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

That's why God made guest bedrooms. We don't have guests between January and March--we have greenery!
    We have two large south facing windows there, and I put two sets of shelving in front of them. Then as the seedlings mature, some go into the kitchen windowsills, some to into the laundry room, some go ... well, you get the idea. I don't even have to go outside to get the smell of damp earth!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Dan, My husband and I built a 16x10 lean to lexan greenhouse a couple of years ago... That soon became too small and we built a 12x20 hoop house.... that didn't give me enough room either. He found 2 hoop houses on Craigs list and we went and dismantled them and put up 1 as a double layer greenhouse(15x30) and 1 as a high tunnel (16x40). I started doing a roadside stand and farmers markets to support the(greenhouse) habit. Hopefully it will eventually make a tidy profit.

5. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

i know what you mean about the seedlings everywhere...

i found that i had to hold myself back from planting too early because if the temp outside wasnt right for planting i would have masses inside with nowhere to go.

Now i start my seeds a lil later so they can migrate out to the garden with ease while new seedlings inside get started. Also just know how many you can realistically start and keep comfortable inside your place helps a lot.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I now keep all my seedlings in the greenhouse instead of indoors. My husband certainly seems to appreciate the fact he's not dodging plants all over the house these days. Only trouble is I tend to plant more and more seeds every year and now the 6'x 4' greenhouse isn't big enough for them all!! :rolleyes:

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

By the way my husband says I'm not normal. I wonder what he means by that?

8. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Thanks Guys.

good to see i'm not alone. Sounds like getting a greenhouse is a dangerous thing :) with the increase in growing more plants

I think this year will be the true test of how many seedlings I need. As I think I over did it a bit this year on the toms and peppers.

I also have a few more seedlings than normal for the new herb beds I'm putting in. so hopefully the new plants will take and i wont have to repeat it next year other than to fill in gaps.

Have to admit it is nice to see the improvement in the quality of my tom plants this year over last. far less leggy and with 6 more weeks to go before planting outside I think they are going to be exactly how i want them by transplant time.

9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Seedlings are taking over

I began with my bench with the gro-light. Soon the space was gone, filled in with seedlings. The overflow was moved to the guest bedroom. The time is near for setting them outside. Welcome Spring.