Keeping Track of Your Plants

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Pianolady, May 6, 2012.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I used to think I'd always remember the varieties of plants I have. Ha! No, I don't remember. So, I've started saving all my tags, and I am getting much better about knowing what plants I actually have now.

First I buy a very inexpensive brag book, I use this one from Target. http://www.target.com/p/Photo-Album-Brag-Book-All-Occasion-2/-/A-13680305

Then I print off a 4"x6" photo and tape it in the cover.
    [​IMG]

Write the year inside the cover.
    [​IMG]

And save every single tag of a plant I purchase that year (mine are perennials with few exceptions, making this very important to save the tag).
    [​IMG]

My mother in law got me started on this, she's one smart lady.

stratsmom and Donna S like this.
  2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Hey, that's a great idea! I've tried my best to save plant tags, but sometimes they just disappear (like my iris...)- this would keep em all in one place :D

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Now that's an idea I'm going to steal from you if you don't mind. The Magpies tend to steal the tags from my plants and scatter them around the garden or fly off with them. No more 'what the heck is that growing there - did I plant it?' or 'I'll have to look it up because I've forgotten what I put in there.' :-D Many thanks for a great tip. :stew2:

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Do you also write down where you planted it? I found a new plant in my flower bed this year and I know I planted it... :-? I just don't remember doing it. It is varigated solomons seal. I know it wasn't there last year. I planted the arum cornutam and they came up but this didn't so I guess I forgot that I planted these, they came off the clearance rack I am sure, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.

Advertisement
  6. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Yes, I just write it on the tag if I am unsure I'd know the following year, or if two varieties look much alike.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great idea! I keep all my plant tags in a peach basket, and also write it down in my garden journal. I don't always remember to write down where I planted it though.

8. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Very good IDEA!
    I used to buy stuff with cool tags, but now... I think it's more trades LOL
    3 new Clematis... will take off the tags and see what I do with them!
    :)

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Well, This is what you should not do....We left the tags by the plants and the squirrels thought we gave them toys and they pulled them out and ran off with then.

For the people who don't know anything about plants that live out in the yard we were in a pickle. It's been a slow learning process.

Our labeling system is still not what it should be especially since we are people who believe everything should be labeled. My pantry, our tools, in the old store everything was always priced.

SHAME ON US. I think I will fix that problem this summer.

Barb in Pa.

10. Crafty Gardener

Crafty Gardener Seedling

Great idea. I keep my tags too and print the year right onto them and keep them all in my seed box.
    I also keep track of everything at Folia, it's an online place to track all your plants and seeds.
    If you want an invite, let me know.