Kitty Litter Roma Tomatoes in 2007

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by rgasperson, Jul 12, 2007.

1. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Rgasperson you really put that container to good use.
    I've grown my tomatos in containers on my patio for several years now. I've tried every type that you can buy at our local yard centers, from cherry to beefsteak type, and all have done well. I limit it to just one per bucket and they still can get top heavy. My biggest problem is that if I interrupt their water schedule even just for one day and they wilt, the fruit that has set will get blossom end rot. You would think that I'd learn my lesson by now.
    Another way I've seen tomatos grown is someone has just cut open a bag of potting soil, rolled down the top, punched some drain holes in the bottom and planted one plant directly in. You would have to secure it somehow as it seems it would dump over easily. I may try this next spring to test it out.

2. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

Rgasperson, next time, one tomato only. Don't even think about two in one container. Tomato plants need air to breath. If they do not have air, they will be choked to die. Also, tomato does not need a lot of leaves and you'll need to thin them regularily. Otherwise, you grow leaves, not tomatoes.

I only keep three leaves for each branch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

Wow! Those tomato plants are amazing. I will try that next year. Great photography, too. Will it need more water the more tomatoes that are growing on the plant?

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Loved your reports, both of you - happy tomato-growing in '08!

Advertisement
  5. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

Thanks! As you can see in the photo, I continue to grow tomatoes indoor. These photoes were actually taken just a few days before.

For tomato plants, #1 is water, #2 is air, #3 is nutrition, #4 is light (if we take out of the fact of temperature necessarily for the plant to survive).

Fruits can keep water much more efficeintly than leaves. In fact, a plant with more fruits requires less water than a plant with more leaves. However, water is the most important element. The sun is only important for flowering and fruit formation. Once the fruit is formed, it does not require much sun to mature.

6. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

I have grown cucumbers in containers before. Choose a dwarf or bush variety and 2 will do fine. A vining or 'regulsr' large variety I would stick to 1 plant per pot/barrel/cat litter bucket. Very good re-use of the container!