Lateritic soils- any one gardened in?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by brombear, Mar 5, 2010.

1. brombear

brombear Seedling Plants Contributor

I'm finding thus far in my research on lateritic soils that there is a little info that is quite technical and highly specific to mass crop production, and very little applicable to the home gardener. Having recently diagnosed sudden onset nitrogen deficiency in my young lemon sapling in soils that were loaded up with manure at the time of planting i did some further research. My soils are laterite, high in iron oxides and bauxite (aluminium). The high sustained temperatures means it is difficult for much microbial activity to sustain and therefore no humus, and limited ability to hold onto nutrient.(Interestingly, a proportionately high amount of Australian natives are amongst those which don't tend towards symbiotic mycorrhizal relationships). High rainfall washes away nutrients. Laterite soils, I believe may be alkaline or acid. Mine is quite acid, and thus bioavailability of nutrients is restricted.

If anyone has any knowledge or has gardened with laterite soils, I would be interested to hear of your experiences. Also, I am still trying to definately ascertain if the iron in the soil is in an available form, but is still early days in reasearching this. please excuse me if I've dribbled, it's late at night and brain has long since hit the wall and now I'm watching it slide down. bless all your green mossy hearts :stew1: