Leaves shriveling up, what could be happening?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Busted, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Busted

Busted New Seed

Several of my bean plant's leaves have shriveled up, this also goes for my pepper plants. It has been rather rainy lately as well as hot. Any ideas what's going on here? This is my first time growing a garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something is eating my collards and I have yet to catch the bug in the act. Any idea what is eating them? I did have aphids on my tomatoes but I took care of them with some liquid soap and water(worked amazingly). My collards are also for my Bearded Dragon to eat so I need other things to leave them alone.

[​IMG]

As for the white spots on the bean plant and my collards, I am guessing sunburn from raindrops?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

They look normal. The beans look as if the leaves were damaged upon emergence. Nothing to worry over. I think they will be fine. ant the peppers look like some of mine. The leaves get curled sometimes and I don't know if I over fertilized them or what, but they, too, will be fine.
    Check the collard greens for tiny green caterpillars. If you see the white or yellow sulfar butterflys around the garden they are probably already host to them and they are very hard to see until you find the poop. I would suggest more soap and water for them, also and add a teaspoon of cooking oil to the gallon of mix (or adjust the amounts to equal ratios) for the collard greens. Just don't put it on if the sun is shining. Wait until evening or a cloudy day. The oil may cause the plant to look really bad, but mine have always come out of the funky look.

Busted likes this.
  4. Busted

Busted New Seed

I was out watering them and noticed a white looking butterfly, kind of like this,
    [​IMG]

I guess that is what brings the little buggers in. I have seen one little green caterpillar on them before, looked like a tiny silk worm or something. As for the cooking oil, any certain type? I know the blue Dawn original scented works well and I have used it a couple of times already. Both the peppers and beans leaves got attacked by something when younger, not sure if it was aphids or not, but after soap and water they all did much better.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The Pieris rapae - Cabbage White Butterfly lays her eggs on cabbage leaves also on Kale, Radish, Broccoli and Horseradish since they are all in the same family. The growing caterpillars munch for a few weeks then pupate to become another Cabbage White Butterfly and the cycle continues in the U.S. almost year round.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yes, That would be the culprit for the destruction and the little "silk" like spinner id the caterpillar and will destroy the crop, not that your lizard will car much, but it is better to keep them off. We use Bt powder for this. It is an organic and safe dust for controlling the worms. Any cooking oil is fine or even olive oil etc. The lighter the weight of the oil the better, but anything will do. Even used oil that you may have drained off from frying something if need be, just filter it, (and not animal fat oil).