Looking for Paste Tomato suggestions

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Farmer_Dave, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Farmer_Dave

Farmer_Dave New Seed

Hi All I posted a question about tomato seeds as part of a welcome and it was suggested I post over here as others may be interested.
    I have been growing tomatoes for years and am looking for a new paste tomato seed? I started with Roma's which got bad blossom end rot and were determinate and now I have been growing San Marzano's which I like much better as they are indeterminate and don't get blossom end rot as much but I am looking for an earlier ripening paste tomato that is indeterminate and also resistant to blossom end rot.
    Any suggestions
    Thanks
    Farmer Dave

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. JulieTA

JulieTA New Seed

Hi Farmer Dave! If you had problems with blossom end rot with Romas, you probably need to look at your soil. Any tomato is susceptible to blossom end rot, but there are some ways to prevent it. It is caused by a calcium deficiency in the developing fruit. Large fluctuations in moisture, root pruning, or too much nitrogen (which inhibits the absorption of calcium) can cause blossom end-rot.

The best thing you can do is to have your soil tested and then follow the recommendations for liming. Do you have a university extension nearby? Ours provided soil testing for $6 and then gives a full report of what to add to the soil, depending on what you want to grow. It's fantastic!

That said...I love paste tomatoes, growing a ton of OP romas, San Marzano, Amish Paste, and Striped Roma...all heirlooms. Amish Paste is on the Slow Foods "Ark of Taste," and it is a fabulous paste tomato. Martino's Roma is also a great producer, and Jersey Giant is great for canning.

Good luck with your tomatoes!

Julie

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

4. Farmer_Dave

Farmer_Dave New Seed

Good ideas

Thanks for the tomato variety suggestions, I am also going to use more lime in my soil and last year I used an organic liquid calcium product and it seemed to help, as well as having my watering on timers.
    Looking forward to another good planting year.
    Enjoy
    Farmer Dave