Maintaining clematis, how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by DawnsGarden, Mar 20, 2015.

1. DawnsGarden

DawnsGarden New Seed

How do you maintain your clematis? Let it grow or cut it back? I've read that you should cut them back. My mother has never cut hers and she has the most beautiful one I've ever seen.
    Now that the snow is melting, I can see the vine has been damaged from ice. Wonder if I should clip to avoid this in the future.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kay
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

How much you cut depends on the type of clematis you have. Early flowering types bear flowers on last years growth, mid season bear flowers on side shoots arising from last years growth as well as later on tips of current years shoots. Late bloomers bloom on current years growth. If you know which kind you have, use that as a guide. Regardless of what kind you have, I would trim off any damaged vines.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have an H.F. Young out back that blooms early and I have never trimmed it so it's really full. The ones out front have done so poorly I really don't know when they bloom, I am just lucky they make an attempt to grow.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The ravages of winter on the mailbox clematis are obvious, still, there is little concern as the plant(now 12-15 years old) will grow with gusto when the weather turns warmer(July I think):(. The new growth often exceeds 6 feet turning back on itself as the mailbox is only 4 feet tall. When the plant is accessible I trim back any wood that is not viable,watching for the new growth. The taller the old growth the sooner the plant looks respectable. Flowers fill in quickly, a hundred is not unusual. I fertilize with a granular 10-10-10 in spring as it starts to grow. Don't fertilize after blooms appear. The plant likes to have it's feet cool during hot summers so I plant annuals at the base. The plant also likes water during dry hot spells, The annuals act as a 'water me' alarm clock. It checks for mail during the summer.:)

Jerry

[​IMG]
    What?!! No mail!! ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Netty and 2ofus like this.

Advertisement
  6. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Does jackmanii bloom on last years growth?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

You can prune it in the late fall or early spring. I prune mine in the early spring. This year I waited a little too long and I cut off a lot of vines that were starting to turn green.

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

You can prune the vines back, keeping in mind that last years growth will, if not damaged, support additional stems and blossoms. New growth will appear at the plant base if too much of last years plant has been damaged or pruned. I try to maintain some of last years shoots to provide a head start on the overall appearance of the plant. How old is your plant? I ask this, since an older well cared for plants improve with age.
    Jerry

9. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

I don't know how old it is, I just bought it though

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I never thought of leaving a few longer vines on it for quicker height and thickness. Thanks for the advice. Mine is 4 years old this year and has multiple stems now.

11. DawnsGarden

DawnsGarden New Seed

Found this handy chart which will be a good reminder in the future efa962ee49ab8d405948d2ad153e713d.jpg

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is a really good "cheat sheet" that one could download and print to hang in the greenhouse or potting shed...or to keep handy with their garden things.
    Good find, DG.

DawnsGarden likes this.
  13. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine