Making A Rolling Garden Stool.

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Daniel W, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

My old garden stool works well enough, but its construction is not sturdy enough and the legs are becoming wonky. (Alternative version: its user needs to lose 20 pounds).

Today I cut wood. I used the dimensions of the old stool, but added 2 inches to the height, to match my legs better, and two inches to the width for stability. It will have 6" castor wheels, which add 7" to the height, so I subtracted that.

Here it is so far. The wood is stuff I found in the shed, mostly a 3/4 inch thick plank, and some 3/4 inch plywood. The supporting members are 2 x 2 bundled for something and stored in the shed.

Back view, not assembled. The extra 2x2s are for the top.
    IMG_6907.jpeg

Front view, not assembled. I see I need to cut a different 2x2 to fit the back more snugly.
    IMG_6912.jpeg

I want one side open, to hold garden tools. The back is closed to add rigidity. There will be 2x2's for the top, as for the bottom. I think I'll use up my tube of liquid nails as well as deck screws.

To decrease the weight a little, I'll cut circular openings in the ends using my handy 4" hole saw. Maybe the back, too, but I should test it on some scrap plywood first. Might splinter too much.

It doesn't look like much yet but we are getting there. It will need sanding and I think I'll use deck stain from the garage, plus it gets the casters, a pull rope, and a pad to sit on.

More to follow. (oops, I see I posted my original plans already. My apologies for posting this separately).

Clay_22, Pacnorwest and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

What I'm now going to suggest, may not apply for you. But if this was something I'd make in my area. I'll put a screen in the 4 inch holes you'll be cutting.

Because over here, critters will get into it. Like a lizard, centipedes, spiders, or worse - A snake...

Otherwise everything looks fantastic!

Pacnorwest likes this.