Making My Own Gardening Tools Which Will Last Forever!

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by S-H, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I agree with @Dirtmechanic it does look Kingon. A good day to garden, indeed. I didn't realize that Klingons gardened!

Pacnorwest, Dirtmechanic and S-H like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

If they could only invent a batter op hand trowel!

S-H likes this.
  3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Unfortunately, they'll never... As it's cheaper for them to mass produce something in stamped steel - Yes it'll get 90% of the job done in the garden. But such tools don't last very long, (either the rust away or bend/break from metal fatigue). Plus the short handle makes me tired after a while.

Also, I only ever use just 2 tools, the trowel/spade, and the mini pitchfork. The rest I hardly ever need...

Screenshot_20240424-054817.jpg

So the answer was, to just make my own... My needs were a longer handle, as the ground here is often very hard.

In fact the Australian cricket commentators were once talking about why Pakistani team players don't drive to catch the ball? So someone from our side told them that it's because grounds in Pakistan are often very hard. So even if there is grass growing on it. If you fall on it, you still end up hurting yourself badly. Almost the same as falling on concrete pavement.

So I obviously need leverage to break through hard and compacted soil. Therefore it needed to be strong enough that in case I ever encounter rocks, it shouldn't break. Also for the snake problem, it should be long and sturdy enough to kill them in one blow, (we only have venomous snakes here in my area).

So that's how the design evolved in my mind. Something heavy, strong, and a bit long - Which I should be able to take with me whenever I'm exploring out in the wild, (like hunting for fallen meteorites)...

Final thought was that in an emergency, it should also function as a weapon for self-defense. Of course, I already have edged weapons and firearms. But suppose we badly injured or killed an intruder in our home. If you used a dagger or a gun, then you get booked for murder - Until proven otherwise that it was a burglary attempt and you acted in self-defense. Which sometimes is easy, if the intruder was armed as well, (having CCTV footage also helps a lot). But sometimes it's not so easy...

However, if you seriously injured or accidentally killed an intruder with something like a gardening tool. Then you only get charged with involuntary manslaughter, (which is easy to get bail for the next working day of court) - According to the Pakistan Penal Code that is, which in layman's terms is the law which sets the criminal charge for whatever action you might have taken. So until proven otherwise that it was all in self-defense, this is what you'll face - Since I'm a lawyer too now, (technically), I had to think about this aspect also.

1713921697086_copy_1008x1026.jpg

So that's how I came upon this final design... I had to incorporate all these factors in while brainstorming with my own legal team, (who are career lawyers with a lifetime of experience, and so know far more than I do about the law).

IMG_20240424_062834_138_copy_1008x2296.jpg
    IMG_20240424_062848_224_copy_1008x2296.jpg

And then there is the highly annoying venomous snake problem too, (usually leaf nosed desert vipers, which are high jumpers and tree climbers too, even their babies are very poisonous)...

IMG-20240404-WA0024.jpg

So yeah, I think I now finally have what I always should have had - For today is indeed a good day to garden. KAPLA!

:snicker:

[​IMG]

Finally I have some relatives, who I've ostracized out of my life forever decades ago. As that was another type of a highly venomous snake infestation in the house that I just had to get rid off somehow. So they too now better think twice before showing up at my house again, for some type of a reconciliation...

In fact, should they arrive at night, I'll say that I mistakenly thought that the zombie apocalypse had started. Because age hasn't exactly been very kind to some of my elderly relatives. So obviously very difficult for me to tell them apart from zombies today - Also there's no punishment in the Pakistani Penal Code for killing a zombie.

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Dirtmechanic and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

1713984488819_copy_1008x2296.jpg

It's 3.8 to 3.9 Kilograms in weight. When converted into Pounds, it comes out to 8.3 to 8.5 Pounds.

I like it a lot! :cool:

Pacnorwest and Dirtmechanic like this.

Advertisement
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Well good you like it after that much effort! Shows what a plan can do! I usually kill a snake with a longer handle but I am older than you and move slower than you!

S-H likes this.
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Anyway now that it's all built, anyone want to suggest what color I should paint it after I apply the rust-proofing treatment?

IMG_20240425_081914_521_copy_1008x2296.jpg

Dirtmechanic and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Your hand made tools do look like they are very sturdy and very well made to last a life time. What do you use as a rust treatment ? I just dunk my shovels in a bucket of sand mixed with oil after using. If there is a easier method plz share.

S-H likes this.
  8. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

After prep I will use a cold galvanizing spray and then finish with a chrome or silver. If not metal colors I will use frame black for its longevity. Truck bed liner might be useful on that handle. Or handlebar tape. I might go with a leather wrap handle and implement black tool ends.

S-H likes this.
  9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I think what you're doing is safer and more responsible. As the more distance between us and a poisonous snake, the better...

Also, to kill a snake the stick needs to have some flexibility, so it can strike like a whip - Since snakes are long creatures, hit them anywhere on their back, (with as much force as possible). This will keep them from jumping at you or run away or towards you. As now it's back will be broken this way. So now you can strike the head and neck to finish them off. Never aim for their head first, because if we miss, and most likely we will, then we now have a very angry snake, which is fully capable of killing us.

Therefore a flexible cane or bamboo stick is best for this. It is lite in weight too, so moving it fast is easy. However be warned, that snakes are cold blooded reptiles. So even after their brain is completely dead, they can still bite you as reflex - Even up to half an hour after death, depending on ambient temperature of your environment (believe it or not). So it is recommended that you cut off their head and bury it in the ground, after you're sure the snake is dead. Rest of the snake, birds will take away.

This gardening tool which I've built can more effectively teach a lesson to a most venomous serpent of a different kind. One that walks on 2 legs - Or in the case of my ostracized relatives, now are walking around with a hunched back and cane, or moving about in a wheelchair as a result of knee and hip joint replacements, (but still fully deserving to be pushed down a cliff in my opinion)...

:rofl:

@Pacnorwest , I basically have 3 to 4 options when it comes to rust proofing anything. However neither will be as effective as what you do. Because whatever coating we apply, it'll get scratched off whenever the shovel/spade or fork will rub against soil and impact rocks or gravel.

This is why paint will flake off eventually. So re-applying it regularly will be part of regular maintenance I guess. Therefore what you do is far better. So I suggest used transmission oil, as that's best when it comes to keeping moisture away from metal tools. Used motor oil too works fine, but transmission oil is better.

As for what I do, well, like I said, I just 3 to 4 options. First is a chemical treatment produced by a company named Slone International. I've been using it since the last 35 years, and so it's like an undercoat before an undercoat... Basically it's an acidic chemical which converts rust from iron oxide to something else. Over which we can then apply lead oxide (also known as red lead). It's sometimes a maroon color, like dry blood, and sometimes a bright orange color. But it's a very good seal. Over which we apply regular paint of any color we like. Since I live at the coast, this is what has stood the test of time for me.

Nowadays however, lead oxide undercoat is falling out of favor, so a gray colored epoxy resin based paint is applied over this Slone treatment as the undercoat. Over which any other regular paint can be brushed or sprayed upon. But this Slone International treatment is what I swear by!

1714070388845_copy_1008x1864.jpg

Other options I have, as @Dirtmechanic already suggested, is galvanizing. However I don't know what cold galvanizing is, (never tried it). I only know one way to do it. Which is to first dip the object in acid, then dunk it in molten Zinc... But this I can't do at home, so will need to take it somewhere where this is done commercially - Realistically speaking, I'll never find the time to do it.

So my next option is chemical bluing, which too is dealing with some highly corrosive chemicals. Like mixing potassium nitrate and sodium hydroxide in water I think (not sure will have to look it up), then heat it up, and put the object in it... This too is something I most probably won't bother doing. As this is mostly for making firearms resistant to catching rust. So it's too much trouble for just a gardening tool like the one I've made.

There are of course now cold chemical bluing applications also on the market. I've heard of them, but haven't used - Except for a brand name which was Tuttle Wax. So yes, their chemical treatment of cold bluing I had applied on a few tools with my father in the mid 80s. And those pliers and screwdrivers are still rust free. But since I never saw that particular treatment again, I never used it after that bottle finished.

Last option is applying used motor oil on it, then burn it over hot coals or on an open gas flame. In the end you're left with a black coating which is reasonably rust resistant.

The exact same thing can be attained by applying edible cooking oil, and burn it off the same way - It's what we already have on cast iron cooking pots and pans, which is why they are black.

But realistically speaking, I'll just apply Slone rust converter on it, them some undercoat paint, over which a final coat of paint - Will be re-applying it every year as maintenance, or once in several years, (depending on use or whenever I'll see the paint flaking off).

That's about it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

S-H I’ve tried the chemical painting it doesn’t last long in our raining wet weather… so oil in a bucket of sand is a good solution for just my large shovels and pick ax . Now most of my updated tools (usually due to physical limitations ), I have purchased are new battery operated tools and they are rust resistant so never worry much about rust.

However this time of year I’ve been busy with spring equipment maintenance season. Oil, grease, sharpening, battery checks, large tractor and garden tractor maintenance -oil chance sharpening blades…
    Oh you know., all done. Phew…until next time. :rolleyes:

S-H likes this.
  11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well, I'm a doomsday prepper at the core. So whatever I make, has to be dual purpose - Basically a tool, but should also serve as a weapon in a challenging situation. And since such dual purpose items aren't always manufactured, (and whatever is available commercially isn't really strong or built to last) - That's why I often have to make it myself...

Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Your climate seems to have some pretty scary snakes , we just have garter snakes. I’m more afraid of yellow jackets. I ran over a YJ nest last year and was chased on my tractor thru 3 acres back to the house for shelter. I had been covered in stings from head to toe. Now I have to carry an allergy dose injection pen in case I get stung again because that incident has caused an allergy reaction to yellow jackets. I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy swollen from head to toe. I don’t have any tools to defend myself from YJ they are very aggressive even if just standing outside minding your own bees wax. They will chase and attack,vicious lil creatures. I hang a lot of YJ traps around just for that reason.

S-H likes this.
  13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

We mostly have desert vipers here, and cobras, as well as kraits. In recent years, some idiot wanted to have black mambas as exotic pets - Which unfortunately escaped and are now breeding in the environment. Plus we have sea snakes too at certain times of the year. Which are 4 to 10 times as poisonous compared to any snake on land.

Now to add to this headache, we now have crocodiles too. They were in a different area, away from population, happy in their own swampland. But as the city grew, it unfortunately encroached into their territory. And recent heavy torrential rains in last few years, along with the urban floodings - Now has crocodiles swimming alongside cars in partially submerged streets.

Screenshot_20240426-014037.jpg

So in a challenging situation, be it in a flood due to heavy rains, or a disaster like an earthquake or tsunami - What do you do when you run out of bullets???

That's why I make everything dual purpose. So it can function as a weapon too, or be of some use for survival/hunting. Also, the absolute worst and most dangerous creature in nature isn't a snake, or a crocodile. But is another man, who could also be armed and not have the best intentions...

Pacnorwest likes this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

15. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

As the Chinese often say:

May you live in interesting times.
    May you be recognized by powerful people.
    And may you get what you wish for...

:frustrated::snicker: :rofl::smt044

Which is why I now try not to complain too much. And instead just keep making whatever I think I'll need - Whatever that's not available in the market. For whenever you know what might hit the fan.

Pacnorwest likes this.