Making new Chocolate Mint plants

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by TheBip, Jul 17, 2009.

1. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

A while back I posted about chocolate mint and said Id post pics of making new plants from teh old. But procrastinator that I am, Im just now getting around to it <.<

I dont have a pic of the cuttings right after I took em, but thats what imagination is for, right? ;) Basically, I took off the top few inches of a stem. Nipped off the lower one or two sets of leaves.

then
    [​IMG]

I kept the cup on our kitchen windowsill which faces roughly north northwest. So it got some sun but not too much.

After a few days
    [​IMG]

Potted em up with some regular garden dirt cause I didnt have any potting soil on hand. But theyre doing fine anyway.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Well, don't they look happy!

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Well done Bip!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I find all types of mint so easy to take cuttings from to make new plants. They seem to root here almost as you're taking the cuttings from the parent plant. :rolleyes: That's why I never plant them in the garden as they tend to take off and spread so rapidly. I have lemon mint, peppermint, spearmint, chocolate mint and apple mint at the moment.
    Your cuttings certainly look as though they are very healthy Jen. Well done. :-D

Advertisement
  6. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

If I ever get around to it *lol!* Ill post pics of the plants now, theyre branching out already, adn I did pinch the tips off to try and make em a bit bushier. I would love to get some other types of mint, I had ordered some about two years ago but the summer heat did em in :(

7. jardin

jardin New Seed

chocolate mint

I know this mint is easy to grow and it spreads rapidly, but I've never tried it. I have some peppermint that I grow at home because I found out that the spanish sun is just too much for it... I use it mostly for ice tea it's great! :-D