Manual screw press

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by S-H, Mar 28, 2016.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I was bored again... Sight... So just finished designing this!

The Manual Screw Press.

It has too many uses on the farm, and in the cottage industry.
    Anyone who'd like to make it for themselves (by following my design) is free to do so! :D

Suggestions for improvements are also welcome.

Seriously, this design I give to all members of the GardenStew, for free!
    Only payment I require, is that if you really do make it, please upload a picture here. :stew1:

Screw press (manual) 1.jpg

Screw press (manual) 3.jpg

Screw press (manual) 2.jpg

Screw press (manual) 4.jpg

2. mart

mart Strong Ash

You ? Bored ? I do not believe it.

Tooty2shoes and S-H like this.
  3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Y'know, I can think of some not very savory uses for that screw press. :mad:

Vindictive? Moi? ;) :setc_014:

Tooty2shoes and S-H like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Marvelous! I go away for a few days, thinking that when I'd return here, there will be a truckload of suggestions for improvement waiting for me - As (I was lead to believe) that we have a lot of farmers in our community too, (who would indeed appreciate something like this). But instead of all that, I now see that some people have other ideas about how this screw press should be used... :snicker:

Alright alright, enough horsing around. So let's back to the main subject, about design improvements. Unfortunately though, these improvements are now from my own head - And although very practical, it still beats the purpose of group contribution, (thus not really all that fun for me)... :headscratch:

Anyway, here is the general look of the screw press now! :D

Screw press (manual) 5.jpg

The improvements I made seem more complicated now, as it has more parts. However they are all easy to machine parts. Meaning that anyone with a basic setup of powered tools should be able to make it now! All that is required is a mediocre lathe machine and a small portable welding plant, plus the usual stuff like a few files, wrenches, a drilling press would come in handy too...

OK, now I'll be explaining the overall design from the bottom. So the first improvement you'll notice is that that bottom plate has 2 grooves cut in it, (one on the left side and one on the right). These are there to assist in securing this screw press. So now it is easy to bolt it down on the floor, a table, or a counter - Without this, if you applied too much force, then the whole thing could have moved, (which is unsafe). Yet now one can twist the screw as hard as one likes, as this isn't going to move, (provided that it is bolted down securely).

Also note that now there are large 4 nuts directly welded onto the bottom plate, So these will function as the perfect anchoring point for the rest of the structure - Which will be a rod frame, (4 rods threaded at both ends).

Screw press (manual) 6.jpg

Next I'll explain how the overall structure is made to stand upright. Not going to use the word "erect", as that might take the conversation in another direction... :snicker:

Anyway, this is how it is - The 4 rods (each threaded at both ends) are surrounded by hollow tubes. these tubes are working as spacers, between which all the plates will go. So in this picture below, I am showing one rod (in the back) assembled, while the other rod (the one in the front) is shown with the tubes and top nut outside. This I hope will now give everyone a general idea about what I am trying to explain.

Screw press (manual) 7.jpg

These are all the plates, which will go after each spacer tube slides onto the 4 support rods - Thus giving the press 3 to 4 levels.

Screw press (manual) 9.jpg

Screw press (manual) 8.jpg

Easy to understand so far? Good! Alright, let's move ahead with it - This is how the top will be assembled. These are actually 4 parts (2 of which are identical), which will be held together by 2 horizontal nuts and bolts.

Screw press (manual) 10.jpg

And this is the actual screw of this press, as well as how it is assembled with the pressure plate, (not going to use the word "mated" with the pressure plate for obvious reasons)! :snicker: OK seriously now, the main purpose of this is that the bottom pressure plate should be free to rotate horizontally. So as the screw rotates, the plate will not - Instead the downward force will be transmitted directly to the pressure plate, without any rotation.

Screw press (manual) 11.jpg

Screw press (manual) 12.jpg

Alright, now we come to the pressing chamber, or call it the bucket. To this I have added 3 things. First is a handle on one side, so we can grab it. Second is the extended stand at the bottom, so it can be placed on any flat surface, like a big fat jug - Of course, if we attach the 90 degree elbow and a pipe extension, then it will become tricky. Which is why that attachment is optional, as we'd only need it if we have to attach a hosepipe to it.

Screw press (manual) 13.jpg

But the third thing that I added is also an optional part. But needed if we are pressing something that leaves behind a pulp. If however we are pressing out something like a cream or paste, then this isn't needed. But if pulp is left behind, then this is very important, as without this the bottom outlet will easily get clogged... So this will be placed at the bottom of the pressing bucket. And when not needed, it can easily be taken out.

Screw press (manual) 14.jpg

Screw press (manual) 15.jpg

Alright, so what do you guys think??? Anyone of you going to make it now? Got any suggestions for improvements? :stew1:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Tooty2shoes and Frank like this.

Advertisement
  5. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

[​IMG]
    Some one beat ya to it here is mine the screw handle and lid press are in the sink in this picture but its sorta the same. We have been using it for years the good news is it works like a champ.

S-H likes this.
  6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

And this is my design, after rendering!!! :cool:

Screw press (manual) 16.jpg

Tooty2shoes and Frank like this.
  8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Nice contraption! We've got an old wooden one that my husband uses for his wine making projects. Very handy but not as advanced as yours.

S-H likes this.
  9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well mine may look advanced, but it's really not. As all screw presses operate on the same principle... I just designed it so that it is easy to replicate, and should also give at least 50 years of trouble free service.

Anyway, here's an afterthought - The top handle (instead of being one big part which would be challenging to machine), is now made up of 6 different parts. Again, parts may have become more, but easy to machine in any basic metal workshop.

Screw press (manual) 17.jpg

Screw press (manual) 18.jpg

Tooty2shoes, Droopy and Frank like this.