marking or labeling plants.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Apr 17, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What do you use to mark and label your plants? I've seen the white label stakes Jewell uses but, unfortunately, my little pup thinks they are toys and pulls them up to play with. I mark where my spring bulbs are with white rocks she can't pick up so I don't dig into them in the fall but I can't write on them as they are too rough and I don't want fist sized rocks all over my flower beds. Any ideas??

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

For years I have simply used my memory......that's why when I am putting in a new plant I dig up unremembered roots and/or bulbs then wonder what the heck they are, so I move them to a pot to see what comes up the next Spring, and next Spring they come up in some pot in an out of the way place and I wonder when I planted them over there?

I have tried all sorts of things but the unrelenting sunshine around here bleaches any and all markings out...marker and paint just doesn't stand a chance. I have some 1/4" letter dies, a hammer and a stack of can lids to hammer the name into, then slip the can lid into the tines of an old fork and stick the handle into the ground ... I need to get do that this Spring while everything is up and blooming.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I use the cut up slats from old mini blinds and a good pencil to label stuff around here. If you poke them in really deep, your dog wont see them. Pencil lasts the longest on tags.