Meet my pusher. :)

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have had my pusher since I can remember. When I was small my pusher was indispensable. A typical day with my pusher might go like this:

Oh great!! Peas and carrots again….why can’t they grow peas with flat sides. The carrots have flat sides. Now I will spend half of dinnertime chasing down the little buggers just to push them into the spoon. And they don’t taste good anyway…the carrots are better……..that’s it!! push all the peas to one side and eat the carrots Hide the peas under the mash potatoes.:)
    Brilliant!! This should take up almost all the time…then everyone else will leave and I can push the potato covered peas on to the floor. I’m 2 1/2 I can still get away with that.

The day did come however, when I had to say good by to my pusher. I still had to use books for added height on the chair but the pusher had to go. I remember that day with mixed emotions. Now my hardware duplicated what everyone else had. Life was getting better! The marks on the spoon told of my pusher exploits. Years later I did find out not all kids had a pusher. I guess I was lucky. Here is a picture of my pusher and spoon along with the marks made by me as I banged the two together…..I remember doing that, I was not quite 3. Those were the days.

My Pusher: IMG_6157.JPG

Pusher and banged up spoon: IMG_6158.JPG

Spoon: IMG_6159.JPG

Jerry

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Before the age of 5 my pusher was my left thumb. After that I used a crust of bread or a piece of dinner roll. Now a days, I just dig up a forkful of mashed potatoes, flip the fork (mashed potatoes down) over on top of the pile of peas and whala I have my next mouthful.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The number of times I've peaed on the floor trying to push peas onto my fork is unbelievable. They have a mind of their own and insist on leaping off the plate, fork and table to spite my best efforts to control them. Now, when we have them, it's always with mashed potatoes as it's the only way to get them to sit still until they reach your mouth.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

First time I have ever seen one, interesting. I wonder why they aren't around anymore . I just had to read the post wondering what a Pusher was.:)

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lucky you Jerry,..i never had a pusher,..i had to do with a desert spoon until i qualified for a knife and fork,..well at least when my parents were sure i wouldn't stab myself or the person sitting next to me,..i did wonder if my mouth opened automatically as the fork full of 'whatever' approached,..i did learn the hard way that it didn't when i clenched my jaws shut and stuck the fork in my cheek :rolleyes:

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I was horrified when I saw my young nieces trying to eat--grabbing with fingers, scooping food to the edge of the plate and then pouring it into their mouths--ugh!
    I introduced them to the joys of eating implements, those cute spoons with the bent handles and blunt forks. If I'd had a pusher the job would have been much easier!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

you were well taken care of Jerry... I was lucky to have a clean spoon let alone a tool I have never known existed until today. I started using a knife when I learned how to eat in public. Being almost the last of seven... didn't get you much but... "it won't kill you, just eat it and be thankful for it or someone else will eat it" I learned to smoosh my peas just enough so they weren't round and it made it much easier to eat them.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Never knew there is such a thing, a pusher :) Lucky you Jerry. When I was at that age I remember I had learn how to use the chop sticks or there is no food! :( No I was just joking, I was using all my fingers and thumbs then. :D

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I would of starved using chop sticks KK Ng...I can't even twirl my spaghetti on a spoon decent.:(

Philip Nulty and carolyn like this.
  11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Sherry8 if you were ever to come this way I will give a crash course on how to use the chop sticks. I can guarantee you that you can pick up a meatball with a single chop stick after that. :smt082 I'll have the spaghetti.:D

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jerry, you have just solved the puzzlement of the "pusher" that I inherited along with my mother's silver. There were also baby spoons in the box, but it was obvious what those were for. I gave them to our own children to use. Too bad I did not know what the pusher was ! I don't remember having one. It must have been my mother's.

Philip Nulty likes this.