Mission Accomplished

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Spring is well underway here in this little corner of the world. The birds, the smells, the blooms and the temps --all verify this. All the gardners on my complex (just like me) have what we call, the "Lentekriebels"...that is to say, we are itching to get gardening.

This weekend, I had my chance to scratch my kriebels.

At home the broccoli's were thinned-out.
    [​IMG]

It began with the potato bed. The potato bed was at the very top of the list of chores. The guys around me have all gotten their spuds in the ground. I am lagging behind.
    Here is the school teacher that gardens next to me planting his spuds in a very simple manner. Simple, but effective.
    [​IMG]

Of course, I have to do things the hard way. The first thing is to sort and count the spuds. I take them over to the garden and then step-off the 1/3 of the ground that may be planted in potatos; and following this, the number of rows are determined as well as their spacing.
    That all done, it is time to break out the hand-furrow maker and plough the eleven rows that will be required.
    [​IMG]

Next I use a tulip bulb planter to make holes in the bottom of the furrows....then sprinkle bone meal in the furrows and drop a spud in each hole....hole for hole and row for row.
    [​IMG]

Once that has been done, I then fill the furrows in with the mounds of soil that were pushed up on either side of each furrow. They should be ~40 cm deep now.
    I will leave them like that until the shoots break the surface. I will again pull out the furrow-maker and draw furrows in-between each row of potatos--this will result in the potatos being earthed-up further.
    [​IMG]

This little activity has two purposes: the extra earth protects the tender new shoots and leaves from late frosts, and more importantly, it means that more of the shoot's stems will be underground--thus more tubers will form along the buried stems.
    This just gives more spuds per plant.
    Its a bit greedy, but then I really do like potatos.

This job took hours to do, while the neighbour guy was done within a half an hour. Perhaps as I get older, I will have to do it that way as well.

I can tell you that after that big job, I was ready for some food and tea...and a sit.

That done then, there were other jobs to do (the list seems endless at this time of year).
    The spinach which was planted a week ago had come up, but more is needed--so more spinach to plant as well as some perpetual spinach (a different plant0 and some Swiss chard.
    Have a look at that little section:
    [​IMG]

Inside the greenhouse, the three sorts of Marigolds have begun to come up. It looks like a good percentage of germination.
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of flowers that are making a good appearance: The Pulsatilla Vulgaris...
    [​IMG]

and the Meconopsis (Himalayan Poppy).
    [​IMG]

The strawberry beds were all cleaned and are now ready for production.
    [​IMG]

It was again time for tea and bikkies so another pause was in order before going further.

The broadbeans needed planting and here is the way the protected bed spent the winter.
    [​IMG]

Then that mulch was raked aside and the soft and wormy ground was further loosened and the planting was begun.
    [​IMG]

Look how these broadbeans fared in the root trainers. Aren't those lovely root balls?
    [​IMG]

Then once planted, they only require of water now and then and away they go.
    [​IMG]

I really did have to make a start on the flower garden--Here it is before:
    [​IMG]

...and then after some dead plant removal.
    [​IMG]

Then all of a sudden it was after 19:00 and my stomach was making those sounds....the "feed me" sounds.
    In a flash, I had all the things packed-up and put away and was off....biking up to the front gate. It was late and so the gate had to be locked. I leaned the bike against the outer fence to lock the gate and what did I see there directly across the street....??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lammetjes. Aren't they just cutest little things you ever did see. It is lambing time here now and so one can see the little new creatures hopping and displaying all manner of peculiar ataxic behaviour in the paddocks.
    What a pleasure to watch...I leaned on the gate there and watched for about a quarter of an hour. They never did come close to me so that I could take some reasonable fotos. At any rate, it was a pretty sweet end to a very good day...My mission was accomplished.

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

awwww... those lambs are just adorable! Looks like you got in a good days work. Oh to have a strawberry patch that size. I may have to increase my production next year! I do like those root trainers... sure would make it easier to get a young plant out and in the ground.
    I think I'd have to do like your neighbor if planting that many potatos! :-D

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A great spring day and a lot accomplished with lamb for an ending. Thank you for sharing your day.

Jerry

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wooohooo, another year of watching your wonderful veggie garden and beautiful flower garden grow and make me green with envy :D I love it.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You've been busy haven't you? I can just see you in your lotties enjoying being outdoors again.
    Your flower garden looks so neat and tidy now that those dead plants have been removed - all ready for more flowers to begin to appear. You've managed to get so much done in your veggie garden and it's really looking good. You may have a few aches and pains after all that work but it's more than worth it isn't it? :-D

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I'm inspired! I'm going to go outside in just a few minutes on my own mission. Not nearly as ambitious as yours, Sjoerd. It sure looks great and provided a big jolt of excitement! Another year has started! Also, the lambs are just too cute.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh my, you did have a day of it! I have to get some of those root trainers--but I think you'd have good luck with any kind of container.
    Love your little fuzzy white neighbors.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

A good job well done,..i like your system for putting down your spuds,..i tended to either have drills,..or beds three foot wide.
    What a difference the flower area looks before and after,..and those Broad Beans are top notch!,..Spring Lambs and Daffodils,..its always a sign that winter has passed,..you achieved a lot,..top marks to you.

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That was quite a full day Sjoerd. And a spring performance by the lambs to top it off. Really enjoyed your photo tour, thanks.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

What a fantastic day on the lottie Sjoerd!
    I am almost able to get into my plot and after seeing this post I am very eager!
    Such cute little lambs, what a way to end the day :D

11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It sure feels good to have accomplished so much doesn't it. I come in tired and ready for a nap but my garden is planted and some of the flowers are done. You have a much bigger area than I have so I guess you get to feel two or three times as good. It's a very lot of hard work to do in one day.
    dooley

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi CHERYL--Yes, those little guys are cute alright.I have so many strawberry patches because I am wild about fresh strawberries...in fact I have patches in both gardens.
    Who could blame you for planting potatos like the neighbour guy. It goes so fast.

You are welcome, JERRY--It was such a good day. I felt like I accomplished all that I set out to do.

Hee hee hee--TONI, you say the nicest things. :)

I sure have, EILEEN--and my muscles feel it. Thanks so much for your nice comments. I feel good now that quite a bit of the dead debris has been removed from the flower garden.
    The aches and pains are MORE than worth it, to be sure.

Oh good, DAISY-- I'm glad that you were moved to take on a mission of your own. I hope that you got a lot done, while its still coolish.
    Yeah, those lambs are too cute for words.

MARLINGARDNER--I can highly recommend those root trainers. They are so helpful.

Thank you, PHILIP--I am also well chuffed with those broadies. They are the Aquadulce type.
    I was happy about that flower garden as well...but there's much more to do in there.

Glad you liked that, FRANK--Yes, it was a really good and long day.

It was definitely a good one for me, NETTY. I hope that you were able to get out into your garden and do a little something.

DOOLY--it feels great to accomplish so much. I may have a larger area than you do, but I believe that the work that you have to do is much, much harder than what I do...roots, stumps and so forth. Whew!
    Chapeau to you!

13. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Will you come plant my garden Sjoerd? ;D

Those are cute little lambies <3 <3

14. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I wondered what i had, now i can tell the wife not to worry i have the "Lentekriebels" Wonder what the Canadian version is ? Probably "I wish all this *&%£ Snow would melt so I can get in the garden and start planting" seems to be the common theme.

Those root trainers look great, although i'm trying toilet roll tubes this year for my broad beans.

Intrigued how you get your strawberries so regimental? Did you replant the runners? My strawberry patch and runners are ready this year for planting so would love to know.

I must remember to use a similar technique as your neighbours for my peas/beans this year. Last year I pressed each one and totally lost where i had seeded :)

thanks again for sharing.

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

This is where I want to say that I really hate you for posting all your lovely, dark soil, sprouts, flowers and lambs but I want say it. :D Your gardens look a treat as always, and your thoroughness leaves me humble. You're welcome to disipline my strawberries whenever you feel like it.

I will catch up eventually. At least all the snow's out of the borders now. Please send some dry weather. :D