Mission Accomplished

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

heh heh heh, Thanks BIP.

Hello DANJ-- I have tried toilet rolls as well, and newspaper rolls.
    As for the strawbs--I do indeed "farm" runner plantlets during the summer then separate them from the mother plant and re-plant them in a new bed in august. Its something that I do every year. I never keep a plant for longer than two years. This means that I always have plants of three different ages: 2y/o, 1y/o and newly planted plantlets.
    Which bean and pea technique of my neighbour's are you talking about, Dan?
    I was sorry to hear about your bad luck with your beans/peas. That was bad.

DROPPY--Well, you said it ...doesn't it feel better now? :). Ahhhhh.
    Thanks so much for your nice words...although I'll that the "humble" with a grain of salt---as you are such a terrific gardener I can't really imagine it.
    Oké then ...I shall bring up my contact at the KNMI and tell him what I want and he'll make the necessary heavenly arrangements.
    Enjoy the dryness.... :D

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sure BIP--if the price is right (it must involve food primarily--hahaha)

Oh DAN--Thanks for your comments. I answered this yesterday, but somehow when it did not become visible. I dislike it when that happens.
    Anyway, I shall try and re-create yesterday's response now.
    Root trainers are very good for the purpose that they were designed. I have used toilet rolls too in the past. I found them a little bit too thick for my liking (this could have to do with the kind of climate that we have here). I was not pleased with rate of decomposition--I have used newspaper also and found that newspaper containers seem to breakdown quicker and do not "wick" as easily as the toilet paper tubes.
    I shall be interested in hearing your opinion on the toilet roll tubes where you live.
    As for my 'regimented' strawberry beds--well, I arrange the runners after fruit harvest and let them put down plantlets.
    In August, I take the best plantlets and clip them free of the mother plant and place the new plants in their own newly prepared beds. This way I always have strawberry plants beds in constant rotation. I will always have plants that are 2y.o., 1y.o. and newly planted plantlets (less than a year old).
    I find this thought-out rotation plan the best for my plot, and it ensures that the ground does not get worn-out by having the same plants in the same ground year after year.
    **One thing that I find very important is that the strawbs have an acid soil.

BTW--I once wrote a posting here on GS about Strawberry Care. If you wish to take a look. klik on the link below and scroll down until you find it.

http://www.gardenstew.com/about13422.html

Say Dan--what technique were you talking about that my neighbour used for his beans and peas?

Good luck this season, mate.

DROOPY-- Hahaha... well, you said it didn't you! :D Does it feel better now?
    I can't imagine that anything that I'd do would leave you humble, for you are a superior gardner yourself with remarkable annual accomplishments. So, I don't get the 'humble' bit.
    One of these days, I am going to make a special trip up there to discipline your strawbs (if indeed they need it...if not, perhaps I could sample some typical Norwegian food :D)
    Oké then...I shall call my contact at the KNMI and he will use his stroke to influence heavenly intervention on your behalf.
    Today your weather has arrived here. If you are now dry, I shall feel like an exorcist.

3. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Thanks Sjoerd.

I was referencing your neighbours way of laying the seed potato on top of the soil first before pushing in.

I've seen the same method used for beans and peas, and was going to use it this year.

thanks for the info on the strawberrys, think i might dig in a small pail of pine needles into the bed to raise the acidity a bit or as you mentioned spread some on top of the soil. Thanks for the link was very useful.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké Dan...and thanks for making it clear to me what you meant about the seed planting. I have never heard of doing beans and peas like that. I shall be interested in learning how your planting fared this year...if you have the time.

I can't use that method in my garden as the mice and/or birds take their toll--so I germinate them at home and plant them out once they are large enough.

Advertisement
  5. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I Direct seeded last year and it went well but plan to plant a larger area of peas this year and first year with broad beans.

The challenge here with such a late frost date 2nd week may. is i'd be overrun with seedlings if I pot up everything So peas and beans get to be directed sowed.

But assuming i have space will test a few with the toilet roll method.

Its going to be a good year for the garden this year.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

One tip about your late frost date and broad beans: Try Aquadulce Claudia broad beans--they can stand the cold as no other broadies can. I often plant my Aquadulce's in october of the preceding year. This year, I planted them in march and to harvest in june.
    This has two advantages:
    First, the early harvest misses the black aphids that are treacherous here in early summer,

and secondly an early harvest frees-up the ground for another crop or green manure planting.

I like your positive attitude in expressing the thought that it WILL be a good gardening year there this year. Gardening does require a modicum of optimism.

A little snippet about the Aquadulce:
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetabl ... udia/138TM

I can see what you mean with the timing and space available there.
    I hope that you do well. Do post some progress notes from time to time, won't you?

7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Thanks for the advice.

Must admit, i've not looked into frost tolerant variants for any of my veg. I'm using raised beds which is giving a higher soil temp reducing the frost level.

I took a look in the seed box, and i've got Windsor beans. I think these are overwinter varieties and could be used for early cropping. I'm tempted to try 4 plants early.

Assuming mid May end of frost date, how early would you plant them I assume you start them indoors first?

Thanks for optimism, Last two years have been spent preparing the beds and lots of learning, this year I feel more confident in what i am doing. Still lots to learn.

Thought i would post some of my garden shots at the moment :)
    [​IMG]
    Seeds on the go ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

Heres my seed table, very lucky to have such a big south facing window. hoping for sun next few days so i can move them upto 3" pots.

[​IMG]
    April 2011 Main Beds ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

As you can see here, still waiting for the snow to melt on the main beds, Can start turning the soil soon and working in the leaf mulch.

[​IMG]
    Apr '11 Kitchen Garden still buried ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

Going to be a while before the kitchen garden see's sunlight (about 2 feet of snow ), Although the strawberries are hiding nicely under there, as is My main kitchen herb pot.

8. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Enjoyable post Sjoerd. I always enjoy your narratives. Glad the weather is allowing you to begin planting. The lambs are so sweet,a perfect way to end your post.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Dan,

I think that you could plant those beans in mid april in a cool, unheated room. Once they get up, let a couple of sets leaves form and plant them out around the first of may (if the ground is not covered with snow..."rule of thumb" would be--if you are able to work the ground, then plant them).

Heck, Dan...I have had my beans sitting outside still in their thin root-training germination pots when temps would get to -3°C, and they showed no sign of a problem.
    Having said that, I did harden them off before leaving them outside 24/7.

Thanks for trying to post pics, but if I klik on your links all that I get is a new webpage with a window on it to type a message. Something went wrong, mate.
    I shall check back and see if you were able to sort that.

Two feet of snow...Blimey! :eek:

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Why thank you, Gail--That was a nice thing to say. I am glad that you liked the posting as well as the lammetjes at the end. There are not alot of things cuter than a newborn lamb.

11. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Been a while since i posted pics, They are fixed now :D

Thanks for the advice on the broad beans, Will try your advice on a few and see how it goes. With luck it will stop me having a huge glut of beans in the summer :)

just out of interest what do you plant after your beans? i'm thinking sprouts could be a good second crop

12. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Lovely Sjoerd....it is all looking just lovely. :) My marigolds haven't shown their heads above soil yet, altho they have only been in a week or so, but they were saved seed, saved by someone else so I may buy a fresh packet tomorrow and get them sown. My spuds are in as are my peas, some carrots, parsnips and radish. I have even, rather daringly, sown some french beans, but I do have them under a cloche.

And Sjoerd, did you ever receive the seeds I sent?????

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

DANJ--Ahhh, I can see the piccie now. Yes--that snow sure is lingering, isn't it.
    The seed table and the raised beds are showing promise though.
    After the beans, I usually plant green manure or "leafy" crops like spinach, Swiss chard, etc. after the broad beans. I usually plant broadbeans in a staggered fashion to lengthen the harvest . I also freeze-in all veg so that I can eat it all uear long.

Hiyah EJ-- Thanks for the compliment. I still have to get in peas and parsnips yet.
    Sown French beans! :eek: That IS daring alright.
    No sign of them yet.

14. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I am concerned about them as they were posted over a week ago now.....hmmm...I think I shall have to get some more as a back up.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I hate for you to do that, EJ--all the time and extra cost. Let's just wait and see....the postal system may be slow, but stuff usually arrives eventually.