monarch caterpillar predators

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by greenjeep, Aug 21, 2009.

1. greenjeep

greenjeep New Seed

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this venue so forgive me if I have posted incorrectly. I need some information, though, as I am also new to my butterfly endeavor....

I've noticed lots of monarch butterfly visits to the existing milkweed growing in my garden and more than a few eggs. The baby caterpillars hatch but something seems to happen to them as I don't see any that make it beyond hatching. At all. I don't think it is birds or wasps. My suspicion, though, lizards. My yard has lots of lizards, the small kind, chameleons mostly.

What do you think is happening and what, if anything can I do about it? I did rescue a couple of babies and I've got them in captivity, thriving.

Thanks, Suzanne

2. Loading...

3. Babaloo

Babaloo New Seed

I live in Michigan where there are no lizard predators near my swamp milkweed. What I have noticed in my efforts to rear monarchs from eggs is that they have a lot of predators from parasitic wasps to spiders. Very few make it from egg to adult outdoors. I have an entire stand of milkweed and check for chew marks and after having raised a few dozen indoors realize they require A LOT of leaves.
    Recently I was saddened to see one young caterpillar(less than a 1/4 inch long) vanquished/dead only to discover by closer inspection I had overlooked a microscopic spider on the branch I'd brought indoors.

Now when bringing eggs on branches indoors I inspect the plant very closely & use a soft fan paintbrush to remove anything questionable that I know cannot be a monarch.