More livestock for us

Discussion in 'Pets' started by EJ, Mar 13, 2010.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

With all the heartache that seems to be plaguing my family at the moment, my mum is treating me to something I have always wanted...some birdies. I would really really like to keep chooks, but we really don't have the room in the garden, so she has brought us 5 quails. We collect them next Saturday, so tomorrow will be spent finishing off their new home. I am very very excited. I love birds, and dad always promised one day he would buy me a pair of love birds, but then I left home and one thing led to another, and it never happened, but now, at last, I am getting some birds to love. We will be keeping them as pets, and for the eggs, and after a couple of months, we will get a male from a different breeder to hatch a couple of clutches. Very very excited. I shall of course bore you all rigid with piccies, so this is a tempter thread. More to follow. :)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh yes!!! :smt026 :smt026 What a perfect present for you EJ. My daughter has tried to persuade me to get some quails as her ferrets love their eggs. No way have I the kind of space they will need though. Make sure your camera is charged up for the day they arrive as I'm dying to see them. :-D Oh you are lucky.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bore me...bore me...!!
    What nice pets to have. Quail make such pleasant "churking" sounds from time to time.
    Which ones will they be, EJ?

Do I have to ask it? ....Foto's please. :D

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

There were wild quail where we lived in Arizona. The babies are so cute. They would follow the mom across the road single file. They looked like little peanuts on legs. They like little hidey holes so bushes and plants are a necessary part of their home. You will enjoy them a lot. dooley

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Good for you EJ .My brother raised Quail and Doves for pets but the raccoons tore through the wire and got most of them one night.Good luck with yours.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

*waiting to be bored*

Congratulations! They look like perfect garden birds, and are so cute. :D I'm not in the least envious of course. :D

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Quail are so cute! Can't wait to see them.

9. EJ

I just knew you guys would be excited about our new pets. As today was such a gloriously sunny day, we sorted the greenhouse, built the run and their sleeping quarters. We have done lots of research, and people to keep them in just rabbit hutches, but we are modifying the greenhouse for them as we feel they need more room than that. They also have an outdoors, which Mark constructed. The wire is buried a foot into the ground, and it is attached to wooden boarding which edges the border, just to make sure nothing can dig in to them. The greenhouse door will remain glass during the winter, but once the weather starts to warm up, Mark is going to replace the glass with double thick wire mesh and the same on the windows, and we may well remove several more pains so there is plenty of air circulating. We are going to fix netting along the apex of the roof incase they fly up if they are scared, just to soften the blow. I 'should' be able to use the greenhouse as normal, with the little ladies living on the ground. I have a grapevine growing inside the greenhouse, and a peach tree, so there will be some cover, I also have shade netting which as soon as the sun is hotter, I will put up. We are trying to think of everything to make their lives as comfy as possible. So, what do you think of the work so far??

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from EJ's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Impressive...off to a great start. Seems like you will be well prepared for your additions to the family. :-D

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I like it, I like it! Are all the quail girls, or do you have at least one male?
    Good idea digging the wire into the ground--stoats arer clever little devils, y'know...and the quail would be sitting ducks in a pen, so to speak.

I liked the looks of that little statue of what looks like a woman with a basket on her head.
    ...and what is in that box on the ground in the foreground and to the left of her?
    That looks like a nice roosting box for them. Does it have dowels or something for them to perch on?

You are doing good, EJ.

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

If I were a quail I would come right over to your house, EJ. It looks like a great place for them and I can just imagine how fun it will be when you are pottering around in there with them pottering around too. You'll have someone to "talk to!" Lovely!!

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Haha, DB, you and me alike. :D I'd love to live there if I were a quail.

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good EJ!

15. EJ

Finally, enough time to sort some piccies. Here are the girls. :) Aren't they gorgeous? This was 2 weeks ago when we collected them. They were, obviously, very timid, and are still a little scittish, but getting calmer and calmer every day. No eggs yet, but they need 14 hours of constant daylight before they lay, and we aren't there yet. No rush, they are just so cute. When I am pottering in the greenhouse,they chatter away and tap the glass. I hope you think they are cute as much as we do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh yes, I'm sure I think they are as cute as you do! It is great to see them. They look very happy there with you.